Technology and Its Effects on Reading and Writing.

darashea 1 / -  
I have posted my first writing paper for this semester. The task is supposed to be about technology back then vs. how it is today.

Technology is the "go to" place when someone needs an answer, but it has not always been that way. As technology has advanced over the years it has changed the way people communicate and function, which eventually will become a big part of history. Even though cell phones, the internet, and e-books have helped many people with a certain task, what happened to the years past? Back then, people did not have that extra boost of help that we do today. Instead of counting on a computer or some sort of technology to help them, they had to do research themselves and put some thought into whatever they might be doing. In today's society, technology has altered the way children and even some adults communicate, learn, and engage with each other.

Today, anyone can easily pick up a cell phone or computer to communicate with multiple people just by the tap of a few buttons. Having such easy communication, it is hard to imagine what it was like before technology was invented. In history, to communicate through reading and writing people would use quills to write letters by hand. The letters were then sent out via horse and buggy or telegram. News and information travels much faster these days. Now, people write a tweet, a status update, or any other form of social media to provide an update that can be viewed and read instantaneously.

In today's world, there are many different types of computers to be used including; PCs, laptops, tablets, cell phones, etc. Out of the hundreds of computers, the majority of those have autocorrect or spellcheck to help notify the writer of misspelled words or grammatical errors. In the days when typewriters were used, our options were limited and it made the tasks at hand more difficult and time consuming. If you made a mistake, you had to use a whiteout and completely retype the line. So if you had poor grammar, it would reflect in your finished product. Also, when using a typewriter you had only one color and one font; black and courier. Whereas a computer has multiple selections. Such as, differing fonts and sizes. Computers reflect more personality by being able to use colors and to reflect what you want the person to know as they are reading. Being able to bold and italicize words can help draw the readers' eye to important facts and information you do not want them to miss. By having this option, it adds more personality to your paper. It gives the writer more options on how he or she communicates the information, with the ease of a few clicks of the keys or swipes of a mouse. Instead of staring helplessly at a blank piece of paper the way writers used to, all they need is a keyboard and right away, they've got something to say. (706) A computer also provides an abundance of tools for the writer so they can translate their thoughts into words for others to read.

Reading and writing before technology seemed so much harder than it is today. Trying to research a topic for a paper or even looking up the definition of a word was a time consuming task. You had to put more effort into whatever you might be researching. To research subjects, a person would dig through library books and encyclopedias to find what they were looking for. A person had to put much more effort into finding the information rather than the ease of using a search engine, like we are able to today, to find the answers within minutes. Google has become an easy way for someone to find any information they want to find, whether the information they are searching for is for a research paper or just for general knowledge or information.

Technology has changed the process for reading and writing today. Books are more accessible and affordable. Books are easier to transcribe and produce. The advance of technology can help us appreciate the complicated and tedious writing process of the past, where sometimes it took years just to produce a book and even longer when the books had to be written and bound by hand. Today our society enjoys the benefits of modern technology. We are blessed with modern tools, which can perform tasks that once seemed impossible, such as retrieving information in a matter of seconds.
Technology is the "go to" place when someone needs an answer, but it has not always been that way.

... This is not clear. Who thinks like that ? and why it is not always so? You need more details here to present this idea with more clarity;

Many people believe that technology is the place to go when someone needs an answer or solution. However, it is not the case always.

As technology has advanced over the years it has changed the way people communicate and function, which eventually will becomea big part of history.

... why you mention about history?
The main problem I see with your writing is that you do not form a proper flow of ideas. Your ideas should flow in a logical sequence. Pay some attention to this aspect!

Home / Writing Feedback / Technology and Its Effects on Reading and Writing.