IELTS task 2 Technology has made men less/more sociable. Opinion essay

serbinax 7 / 19 7  
Some people believe that technology has made men more sociable, and others think that it has made us less sociable.
discuss both views?

Technology and Socialization

Many people believe that technological advancement has made humans less sociable. Others believe that the opposite is true. Although technology is causing the growing loss of physical communication between people, this essay argues that technological progress has given us an unprecedented number of opportunities to become more sociable.

On one hand, innovations in technology allow us to get anything we want without the need of physical communication to anyone. Various online shopping applications offer a simple click of a button which results in product being delivered to our doorstep in no time. Numerous dating websites have led to the decreasing number of real life dates, where people are too scared to interact with each other face-to-face. A recent research has shown that only 28% of single men agree to go on a real date after getting to know the partner on a dating website.

However, technology now allows people to socialize more, because it removes the variables of distance and time out of the equation. Whereas in the past a person could only send a certain amount of text on paper, because it was costly and it took a long time to be delivered, now one can send an electronic letter of any length. Various social media and websites are aimed at connecting friends and acquaintances together, therefore, building and improving their social skills. My mother, for example, who always refused to attend school anniversary meetings, loves to chat with the same classmates via an online chat.

Some would argue that technology makes us fail at being more social due to the lack of physical interaction, while others believe that it makes us communicate with each other even more. I believe technology helps us socialize better, because it has created so many effective means for it.
In a 3 paragraph discussion essay, you have to present the following body of paragraphs:

- 1st POV
- 2nd POV
- Personal opinion based on the first 2 POV.

You created a prompt deviation in your presentation because the original prompt called not only for a discussion of both views, but also a presentation of your personal opinion. You decided that you know better than the prompt and you wanted to discuss only the 2 public opinions. As such, you will be scored in a failing manner in the TA section because you used a tangential response in the essay. There will be points deductions for the personal point of view that you did not represent in your discussion.

You are constantly making the same mistakes in your essays, so I will no longer be repeating those discussions. I'll just focus on the newest errors based on your approach to this essay topic.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS task 2 Technology has made men less/more sociable. Opinion essay