[toefl task] Is the purpose of television to educate, not to entertain?

aster0224 4 / 11  
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? The purpose of television is to educate, not to entertain.

With rapid technological advancement, there were many devices that became almost a part of our lives. Among them, television takes a very prominent position. Accordingly, there is a heated discussion on the purpose of television. While some people believe that the purpose of TV is to educate, other people do not share the same opinion. As far as I am concerned, this device aims at entertainment.

Initially, TV is one of the most significant means for amusement. After 8-hour working or study, people are so exhausted that they may be reluctant to spend time on education and they only want to relax and release their emotions. As a result, generally audience rating on entertainment programs is second to none. An authentic report appearing on the Journal of TV would add great weight to this reason. It shows that during 6p.m. to 10p.m. people prefer entertainment programs such as talk shows or talent shows to education ones like discoveries or BBC History. What's more, the data is from all over the world, so people's regarding television as the means of amusement is a common and prevalent phenomenon.

Furthermore, mindful of a wide range of audiences with assorted interest and different literate levels, it appears far from feasible that TV programs meet all demands on education from large audiences. For instance, as a university student majoring in electrical engineering, I have never seen any program that conveys knowledge about this field. Almost all education programs are teaching children aged roughly 5 to 10 what the probable social manners are. Therefore, education programs fail to satisfy demands on particular knowledge and people should not consider TV as an educational way.

Admittedly TV indeed provides certain educational courses somewhat like online courses, but education is merely the additional function to TV and is far from its intention. As everyone knows, coke adding lemon can prevent from cold to some extents but none would regard it as a drug instead of a drink.

After all, the function of TV is various. We can not only relax but also get education via TV. Nevertheless, function is not equal to purpose. Therefore, I assert that the purpose of television is still to entertain.
umanga 1 / 1  
Your essay body part is quiet little bit okay. But you need is the variation of the tenses and your introduction paragraph lack something.I am also a amature like you so i am not able to explain clearly to you..but you need to improve your introductory paragraphy

regards
Umanga mulmi
Pokhara,Nepal
+977-9806547179

Good introduction with all important features in it. I only wish a small change in the last sentence in which you state your position on the argument;

As far as I am concerned, I feel that this device should primarily be aimed at entertainment. ... you are expressing your position and therefore you need to have the ownership of that idea :D

Initially, TV is one of the most significant means for amusement.

.... Good reason.
You follow an excellent essay structure. I think you've done a good job :)
pijiuwdw 6 / 8  
Good job, friends!
After 8-hour working or study, people are so exhausted that they may be reluctant to spend time on education and they only want to relax and release their emotions.

After 8-hour working or study, people are so exhausted that they may be reluctant to spend time on education and they only want to relax in order to relieve their stress.

What's more, the data is from all over the world, so people's regarding television as the means of amusement is a common and prevalent phenomenon.

... this latter part is somewhat confusing.
What's more to argue? There is enough evidence from all over the world that people regard television as the means of amusement.
Very good writing. Good luck with TOEFL!

Home / Writing Feedback / [toefl task] Is the purpose of television to educate, not to entertain?