SAT: "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything"

Burki 3 / 6  
"A little inaccuracy saves a world of explaination"
Assignment: Is it always essential to tell the truth or are there circumstances in which it is better to lie?
Essay:
"Honesty is the best policy"
All of us grew up listening to the same saying but is it really the best policy or are there circumstances in which it is better to tell a white lie?

I believe that although being honest once can save you from telling multiple lies later there are situations where the best way to save time and to save yourself is to tell a white lie.

A few years ago my sister asked confronted me regarding a conversation I had with a friend. I lied and told her we were discussing a school trip, when in reality my friend was gossiping about my sister. I avoided telling her about it because I didn't want a petty conversation to hurt her already low self esteem. In my opinion, lies told to protect others are harmful as long as they are not regarding serious issues.

There may also be situations where you can omit certain details rather than lie about them. Sometimes when people ask you questions which you don't want to answer, it is easier to avoid certain details but still answer the question. This way everyones happy. I was going out with my friends once, my mother asked me where we were going, I told her to a friend's house. This was partially true, we were going to her house but we were also going out for lunch. I avoided telling my mother this little detail because I was afraid she wouldn't let me go. It was a little white lie which gave us both what we wanted.

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything", Mark Twain.
Everyone has experiences where a little white lie got out of hand because too many lies had been told to cover it up. I think one should avoid telling successive lies, if the matter gets out of hand its better to come clean rather than letting it continue.

I believe, one should think before saying anything. Telling the truth is usually the best option but if the truth is more hurtful than a lie, it might be better to avoid harsh honesty.
AndrewB 3 / 9 2  
I believe you meant to say "harmless" in the last sentence of the third paragraph when you said harmful.

Overall it is good. Depending on length limits, expand your ideas a little more.

Home / Writing Feedback / SAT: "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything"