TOEFL - What things a movie tells about its country

jamessuh 3 / 4  
Full Topic: Films can tell us a lot about the country where they were made. What have you learned about a country from watching its movies? Use specific examples and details to support your response.

A movie is an art form that conveys a plot, or a storyline, through the means of video. As movies are made in a variety of countries, it carries itself many things about the country that the movie was made in. Largely, a film can deliver the native language and the national value to the audience.

The first thing a movie tells about its country of origin is its language. Movies are almost always made in the language of the country it was made in. The audience will get to know more about the language by listening to dialogues and speeches made throughout a movie. Bollywood films are mostly in Indian, and by watching Bollywood films, one can get a peek into the Indian language as well. When watching Hollywood films, most of which are in English, one can get a grasp of American English Second, a film carries its country's national values. Films that are based on a storyline that is related to its country can express values unique to the country. For example, the wild west films that are about stories of cowboys express the American macho spirit the cowboys and Americans at that period had. A more modern example is the Independence Day, which expresses American sense of international leadership, where the American president becomes the hero of the entire world by fighting against ailens. These movies portray the national values a country has.

Traditionally, movies were made by actors, writers, and staff who are from their own country. Even if the current trend is towards globalization, the general characteristics of a film still remain limited to the national level. Therefore, movies are a microcosm that allows the audience to learn about their country's language and virtues.
A movie is an art form that conveys a plot, or a storyline, through the means of video. ---------I think this sentence needs improvement as it is the opening of your essay. I suggest;

A movie, which is also called a motion picture, is a very advanced form of art that conveys a story with moving images.

As movies are made in a variety ofvarious countries, itthey carriesitself many things about the country that the movie was made inwhere they were made . ------ I suggest;

Film industry is one of the vast industries in the world and therefore movies are made in many countries. As the story unfolds of a motion picture, it tells many things about the country where it was made such as its culture, people, buildings, landscapes etc.
OP jamessuh 3 / 4  
Thanks a lot! your expressions are very illustrative!
ajit88rai 22 / 188 3  
- well my friend, I think you have given good points but not so good. You can write that movies create awareness. They are made on contemporary social issues. Some are made on history to enhance the knowledge of the people and remember those heroes who are marred by the oblivion curse. Moreover, movies criticise the bad things in the society in a peaceful manner. Movies nowadays are made wil the sole purpose of profit maximisation which actually serves no purpose

- Movies also lets other countries learn about the cultures on the other side of the world and helps promoting the cultural heritage of one's country.

- oscar winning movies like slumdog millionaire actually criticse the government's claims about their success and prosperity which are not fact based.

- well its just a suggestion from my side. These points might give your essay a strong approach.

-and also just check how n when to change a paragraph.

Good luck and keep working towards ur goal. Adios
Let's use words that are specific.. not "things"...it reflects many characteristics of many things about the country that the movie was made in.----Also, it is better to write this: the country in which it was made.

You used both singular and plural tenses here. If you want to use singular tense, do this:
A movie is almost always made in the language of the country it was made in.
Also, like I said before, you should write: A movie is almost always made in the language of the country in which it is made.

And here is the same problem with singular and plural:
Therefore, movies are a microcosm that allows the audience to learn about their country's language and virtues.
A movie is a microcosm that allows the...
or
Movies are microcosms that allow the...
That rule is called "number agreement."
:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL - What things a movie tells about its country