What do you think composition is? (this is the essay title we were given)

Priya Nayer 2 / 4  
Without composition one may not be able to come up with a successful design ar hoped due to th many challenges being faced.For me,composition crosses a broad spectrum.Composition is the combination of all the visual elements effectively to achieve a sense of balance and harmony.

An effective image is one that draws the viewers attention and is able to communicate or convey a certain message. Understanding the basic elements of visual design will help the designer achieve maximum satisfaction. The subject matter is an important part as this can either make or break the concept being formulated.

When i think about composition it reminds me of children learnin art,it is like learni to read and write the language of vision. Once they develop a style of expressing visual ideas,this helps them become visual poets. This applies to adults as well. Once one masters these principles,a successful image is created. There are six basic elements that should be taken into consideration when composing a picture. Ties elements are listed and explained below:

Line- a line represents a path between two paths. Lines may simply imply motion and suggest a direction or orientation. For example, placing four four on a said in the shape of a square can imply that the points are linked,as the mind searches for recognizable patterns.

Shape-A shape results neckmsfe lines. This can be achieved when an area of colour is mapped out around a shape to form am impression of a specific shape.

Space-This is defined and determined by shapes and forms. Space comes in form of positive and negative space and these can be used to counter balance each other.

Colour-is the consistency of a given surface that reacts to light. People respond to coulours differently as colours affect humans emotionally as difffrent colours evoke difffrent emotions. People write with a blue pen instead of a black or red pen as the colour blue has a healin effect on the mind and body.

Texture-is a consistency of any given surface which is sensual to feel. There are physical and visual textures such as the surface of the table and am elephants skins surface.

In my opinion, i have concluded that composition is the combination of all the visual elements to achieve a sense of balance and harmony.
You might want to give some context in your essay. By composition, do you mean composition in general? in the visual arts? In painting specifically? The word's meaning changes somewhat depending upon what field you are applying it to. You seem to be focusing mostly on the visual arts, but you should say that explicitly in your introduction. Also, which sense of composition are you meant to discuss? You focus on the meaning "the make-up of a work of art," but it could also be taken to mean "the act of composing," in which case, you would also have to talk about what principles an artist uses to choose which elements to include, and to decide among alternatives for each one.

You might also want to turn your list into a paragraph composed of full sentences, rather than going with an almost point form outline.
OP Priya Nayer 2 / 4  
well that was the question we were given in class.i was relating mainly to the visual arts side of what compostion is.what i have writen is what i think about composition.as a graphic designer and fine artist i was mainly focusing on the visual aspect to relate to my work. so far what do you think about my work as i have been told my english is rubbish by my teacher.i also have 2 other essays that i need to write on (typograpghy as a vehicle to symbolism) and the other one is (emotion, passion and perfection.why are these crucial in graphic design and problem solving)would you be able to give me guidelines as what i should put in the essays as i am struggling with these two. Ur help is greatly appreciated as living in zimbabwe our resources are limited.thank you so much>
I think it would be great to add a sentence to that intro paragraph to tell the reader that your appreciation for composition is influenced by your interest in visual art. Add a sentence to the first paragraph to explain that...

Oh, wait a minute! I thought you were writing about writing composition. I didn't know you were talking about composing a picture. So, the sentence you should add to the intro paragraph should tell the reader that you are writing about the composition of visual art.

In the second paragraph, too, it is good to add an intro sentence to explain the main point of the paragraph.

Your English is not rubbish!! Tell your teacher that I said so.

a path between two points .

Can you add more reflection to that conclusion paragraph? How about reflecting on how the composition of pictures is like the composition of other things in life, like a relationship or a career. In your refletive conclusion, say something thoughtful about the way composition relates to life.
OP Priya Nayer 2 / 4  
Thank you so much for everyones input into my essay.i have learnt somethin for a change.now i need help wit the other two essays pls any one help.i dont know where to start from.thanks.

Home / Writing Feedback / What do you think composition is? (this is the essay title we were given)