Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

IELTS - I think that journalists are too concentrated on exposing celebrities' lives

somasalims 15 / 27 5  
Q:
The media pay too much attention to the lives and relationships of celebrities such as actors, singers or footballers. They should spend more time reporting the lives of ordinary people instead. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

A:
The mass media play a pivotal role to give information about everything or everybody in the world. This is why lifestyles and relationships of celebrities such as actors, singers or footballers have regularly been appeared on television and other media in order to attract attention of people. Whilst I think that journalists are too concentrated exposing regarding celebrities' lives, I firmly believe that they should pay attention reporting the lives of ordinary people.

I would argue that reporters disseminate all about scandals and gossip of extraordinary people on television, magazines or the Internet because it is interesting for virtually people. A study shows that more than 40% of TV programs expose lives of celebrities. Although the gossip shows provide special information such as how an actor lives or how a footballer wins, the proportion is too wasting much time.

In addition, I think that the mainstream media, nowadays, lack a sense of journalism as they expose personal life of somebody deeply in spite of bad news. For example, when Mariah Carey failed lip-synchronizing a song in a concert, it became main issue in all magazines and on television channels. As a result, the news will raise negative comments about the singer and probably will affect her career.

On the other hand, more attention should be paid on how ordinary people live and survive by the mass media as their lives probably can inspire others. William Kamkwamba, a juvenile who had to drop out of school due to financial matter, for example, attracts attention of journalists to publish his story such as in the Malawi Daily Mail because he built a series of windmills that can generate electricity in Malawi, south-eastern Africa, when he was 14 years old. Finally, he has inspired many teenagers to learn science and to act more rather than just to understand theories.

The aforementioned evidence shows that the mass media such as television, magazines and online news pay too much attention to disseminate gossip of celebrities even though it is not essential to be obtained. However, ordinary people who probably can be inspiring others should be appeared in the media. Where possible, they should have the same proportion as the famous people.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS - I think that journalists are too concentrated on exposing celebrities' lives