Do you think it is necessary to take an entrance exam to enter a college or university?

Lourdes 1 / 1  
I believe it is necessary to take an entrance exam to enter a college or university. There are arguments for why this should be mandatory for all students. First, in order to evaluate that students have the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in their higher education(This idea is not clear!) Many students suffer and fail at university because of the lack of basic knowledge. Another reason is that in the preparation process, students prove themselves the interest they have to pursue a career. Some students may be applying to a wrong career because of their parents' desire or friends' decision and this can weaken preparation and motivation, driving them to poor results and frustration.(Is this a reason? Check your main idea)Finally, I believe that by entrance exam universities and colleges may select a specific profile. For example, a university may be known for his research and discoveries at science fields, and in this case they will choose a person with related interests. To conclude, I think it is a good idea that all students take an entrance exam in order to measure their knowledge, to prove themselves the interest they have to pursue a career and to demonstrate to the university or college that they have what it takes to enter.
Your discussion is poorly developed and lacks any actual merit or basis overall. I am making some suggestions as to how you can improve this essay during its 2nd drafting stage.

I believe it is necessary to take an entrance exam to enter a college or university. There are arguments for why this should be mandatory for all students. First, in order to evaluate that students have the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in their higher education

- You need an introductory statement that will properly explain the essay prompt as per your understanding. Close the thesis statement with an indication that your stand is that students should take an entrance exam and that you will be discussing both the pro and anti exam points in the essay.

There are arguments for why this should be mandatory for all students. First, in order to evaluate that students have the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in their higher education

- An overview of these ideas should be presented in your introductory paragraph.

Many students suffer and fail at university because of the lack of basic knowledge. Another reason is that in the preparation process, students prove themselves the interest they have to pursue a career. Some students may be applying to a wrong career because of their parents' desire or friends' decision and this can weaken preparation and motivation, driving them to poor results and frustration.

- Present this as an argument not in favor of taking entrance exams. Develop the ideas further using examples or personal experience.

For the next paragraph, you must present a discussion in support of entrance exams and then present supporting evidence as well.

Finally//.

- This is a good personal point of view. It has good assumptions to support your claim. However, the assumption should be reworded to sound factual in order to be acceptable as an argument. Restate this paragraph.
OP Lourdes 1 / 1  
Hola! thanks for the suggestions, but it's an opinion paragraph, not an essay. I have to take a side.

What is written in bold is from my teacher and what is written in italics are grammatical errors, which I don't know how to correct.
I tried to revise your opinion paragraph. Please look it over. I think I was able to keep the essence of your original paper in a better format. I hope you find it useful as a guide. Or feel free to use this version if you wish :-)

Many students suffer and fail at university..

- While a number of students who fear failing college entrance exams will most likely jump for joy at not having to take an entrance exam in order to get into a university or college, the reality is that the quality of the education delivered by the educational institution will suffer if they just grant entry to anybody who wants to attend their university. Without entrance exams, the colleges and universities will not be able to properly assess the ability of the potential student to keep up with and accomplish the needs and demands of the major of their choice. This will also help to weed out the students who are just entering the university or choosing a major based upon the dictates and sentiments of their parents, who will be paying for their tuition fees. If they fail to pass the entrance exam, then their parents will realize that the future of their child does not lie in the occupation that they envisioned for him or her. That is why I believe that taking a college entrance exam will be beneficial to the student and the college or university in the long run.

Home / Writing Feedback / Do you think it is necessary to take an entrance exam to enter a college or university?