Topic: "Which is a better place to live - a small town or a big?"

LokiWolfChilde 1 / -  
Hello, I am need help proofreading my essay so I can at least get a B on it. My essay is on big cities and small towns and which is better. The essay is three page long and around 800 to 900 words. There are tons of grammar mistakes like passive tenses and I need help correcting them.

There are many advantages and disadvantages to living in a big city or small town. Both hold certain characteristics that make it special to the specific person. One person might prefer living in the city, with its fast-paced life style, while another might prefer the quietness of a small town. The different views all boil down to a person's personality. Yet, the question remains, is living in a big city or small town better? When comparing the various reasons such as academics, convenient facilities, career opportunities, public transportation, entertainment, etc. living in a big city is decidedly better than a small town.

A big city is known to have a higher academic standard than a small town. Big cities have access to modern technologies, better resources and overall better academic environment. Small towns often do not have the right technologies to help students advance in their studies. The schools usually do not have enough funding from the government because there are not a lot of students. Resources in a small town are minimal at best. On the other hand, schools in big cities have more funding because there are more students. Moreover, with more funding, come further resources for a better academic environment.

Not only is there better academics in a big city compare to a small town, there is also the various convenient facilities and public services. Cities have multiple government buildings and they are all close by unlike towns. In small towns, you have to go a long way before you reach a government building other than maybe the mayor's office and post office. Buildings such as the social security department and public safety department are commonly found in big cities rather than small towns wherein you have to travel to find government offices. In addition, in small towns, there are few government workers and you can find it difficult to get what you need. Big cities have numerous people that can help you out from answering all you questions to signing paperwork.

There are many career opportunities to be found in a big city. In the city there are jobs that fits everybody needs. You can find jobs that fit your specific skills in a big city where else in a small town, jobs are limited and you could be stuck with a job that does not fulfill your needs. Moreover, there are more chances to get high paying jobs in a big city. Small towns, there are limited jobs because the range is only what the town needs. There are no positions such as computer technician or psychologist in a small town; these jobs are in cities. Cities are big and therefore give you more opportunity to find something perfect for you unlike a town where you have to deal with something you don't like. This is why people move to and commutes to the city for jobs.

Gas and oil prices are going up every day. Cities provide public transportation so a person can commute from places to places easily. It is more practical to travel by buses and subways since they are fast and cost much less than a tank of gas. Towns do not have public transportation like the one the city does and people either have to travel by car or foot. Driving a car is great for long distance but for short distances, public transportation is more preferable. This is why cities hold the advantages to small towns.

Entertainments are easily found in big cities. The city holds so much for those who are willing to look. From movie theaters, to casinos, and museums, it has a little bit, and most of the times more, for everyone. In a town, there are not a lot to do for entertainment. Towns do not have amusement parks or large shopping malls. The closest bars in small towns are probably an hour or so away! Cities have so many places you can explore and never grow bore while on the other hand, towns have only so many places you can see before it becomes a drag.

Other benefits of living in a city are the people there. One, you can meet new people and discover new friends. A person can find others just like them and experience new things in a city that can never be found in a small town. Another is that with the thousands and millions of people, comes certain anonymity. There are so many people in a city that you can easily get lost in the crowd. In a big city, no one knows your business unless you tell it to him or her and your life is your own. Most small towns cannot offer the same thing since populations in small towns are so little; everyone could know your name.

Cities are fast-pace while towns are quiet and peaceful. It depends on a person's nature on which is a more preferable place to live in. Although, if it could be decide on which is better through reasons such as academics, convenient facilities, career opportunities, public transportation, and entertainment, a big city is the obvious choice. Cities are big and hold numerous opportunities that small towns cannot and therefore, is the best between the two. Small towns may have some great aspect such as the peacefulness, beautiful nature, and a close community, cities hold wonders that cannot be beat.
retro13 1 / 3 1  
1. you do not use one person , instead use 'a'
2. There are many career opportunities to be found in a big city. - this can be ' there are many career opportunities that could be found in a big city'

3. Moreover, there are more chances to get high paying jobs in a big city - 'in larger cities there are better opportunities to get higher paid jobs'

4.Most small towns cannot offer the same thing since populations in small towns are so little; everyone could know your name - 'Most of the small cannot possibly offer the same thing, due to a decreased population size' (you can remove the second part of this sentence, it is more or less evident')

5. Also can you reframe the last sentence?
Rest the content idea is good.:)
There are many advantages and disadvantages tothat one would experience by living in a big city or small town.

Both hold certain characteristics that make it special to the specific person.

Which place is the better one depends on each individual and his requirements.
I guess you are preparing for TOEFL or IELTS. If so, this essay looks too lengthy and you would run out of time to complete the task. Follow this essay format if you prepare for one of them.

Home / Writing Feedback / Topic: "Which is a better place to live - a small town or a big?"