IELTS WRITING TASK 2: TOPIC ABOUT NEWS AND QUALITIES OF JOURNALISTS

vothuong 1 / -  
We can get knowledge from news, but some people think we cannot trust journalists. What do you think? What qualities do you think a successful journalist should have?

honesty and passion are the key qualities

In this day and age, it is true that news can be brought a useful information in different categories such as economic, policy, and so on. However, some people think that it is very hard to believe newsman or newswomen. In my personal thinking, I partly agree with this opinion by below following reasons and I will list down some characteristics which victorious reporters should have.

On the one hand, there are a variety of reasons why people should read news. These announcements can help people to broaden their knowledge by latest information which is updated quickly day by day. Furthermore, besides different topics, news also collect data and report in different countries . For example, US election can be known by all people through news, this was live reporting immediately when journalist got the result. On the other hand, some journalists in tabloid give wrong information by exaggerating the problem in these day. In addition, this information is not censored carefully. For instance, journalists try to get new details from super stars and then they write fictional stories by hot titles.

For successful reporters, they should have honesty and passion for their job. First, journalists must face with messy information which is related to many people. Without honesty, they can change the truth before communicating in newspaper. For example, some corporations want to be famous by fake data which is given in newspaper, therefore, they can bribe reporters to do these wrong things. Secondly, journalists is hard job which needs to travel frequently and face with dangerous situation. This could depress their energy if they do not have enough enthusiasm for job.

In conclusion, people should continue reading news, however they need to be conscious to select official newspaper.
Moreover, honesty and passion are key qualities in order to become successful journalists.
smally01 9 / 34 14  
Hi vothuong, hope that I can help.

From your introduction paragraph, you stated you partially agree the statement 'journalists are not trustworthy'. However from your paragraph it seems you are not describing how you trust (or not) the journalists but instead, you are telling people how importance to read news. And at the end of paragraph you mentioned the newspaper who published gossips which give us sign that you would like to make some comparisons between trusted newspapers and those focus on rumors. If that is the case I think it would be perfect if you can say more about it.

From your conclusion paragraph you say people 'need to be conscious to select official newspaper', is it the summary of the paragraph two?
Vo, your total approach to the essay is wrong. You turned a direct question essay into an opinion essay, which is not how this should have been written. The format for this paper is:

1. Prompt paraphrase with direct questions response
2. Explanation of why you think we can / cannot trust journalists
3. Qualities of a successful journalist
4. Concluding summary

While your response to the second part of the question is correct, your created a prompt deviation in response to the question as to whether or not a journalist can be trusted to tell the truth in their reporting. You instead explained the importance of reading the news, which is not what this essay is about. Since you changed the topic of the discussion, your essay will only be partially correct in response. That mistake cost you the chance to get a scoring consideration of 5 with this essay. You will get a score lower than that due to the other mistakes made in grammar and sentence structure presentations.

What you wrote as a response is a prompt deviation because you are discussing reasons why people should read the news instead of whether or not a journalist should be trusted. Therefore, based on the observed mistakes, I do not think that you stand a chance of getting a passing score with this paper.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITING TASK 2: TOPIC ABOUT NEWS AND QUALITIES OF JOURNALISTS