IELTS Topic: Pay a fee when drivers enter to city centre

xyx0905 16 / 49  
In some large cities, people have to pay a fee when they drive their cars into the city centre, in a policy to reduce the number of cars in the city. Give reasons in support of and opposing this policy, and give your own opinion.

In recent years, the excessive traffic load is becoming a common phenomenon in many countries, some urban planers believe that a charge on the road could be a feasible solution to tackle this problem, while others claim that it triggers some demerits. Actually, it is convincing that the advantages of having this scheme outweigh the disadvantages. 56

It is accepted that implementing congestion pricing system for drivers who travel into the CBD exerts some negative influences. Firstly, local residents are encouraged to visit shops, restaurants and entertainment facilities out of town and gradually lead to a downturn of the inner cities. Secondly, this policy is also triggers potential crimes relating to ticket evasion. For example, if a surcharge is enforced both when entering and leaving the city, drivers may risk forging car plates or even registration to avoid this extra cost. 84

However, it is widely recognised that imposing the congestion charge has a plenty of merits. From environmental aspect, it could alleviate excessive exhaust emission of vehicles and air pollution. This is because the implementation of charge encourages a less amount of cars on the road, which further weakens the road density and makes downtown more fresh and clean. From the financial perspective, the congestion toll enables local government to invest and develop a more sound public transportation system. It is also an ideal way to help companies who tend to reduce the usage of cars to save their carbon tax expenditure. 101

In conclusion, it is undeniable that congestion charge has some drawbacks. However, the merits of having such system overtake it demerits. 21 / 262
y0_3mma 19 / 28 6  
Give reasons in support of and opposing this policy, and give your own opinion. Where is your opinion?

introduction
1st para: support + give your opinion
2nd para: oppose + give your opinion
conclusion - summarise what you said + opinion. your conclusion is poor, rewrite it

hope i helped you.
OP xyx0905 16 / 49  
Hi Luca Emma,

I strongly recommend you to read my writing carefully and question carefully!

Actually, it is convincing that the advantages of having this scheme outweigh the disadvantages.

This is my opinion, my clear position in my introduction.

introduction
1st para: support + give your opinion
2nd para: oppose + give your opinion

I am sorry this is not the structure in IELTS writing. I disagree you that my conclusion actually is a poor one.

By the way, this writing already received a decent score. Anyway, thank you for your comment. If you know how IELTS writing should be like, then, you will know, some of your comment doesn't really make sense!

Cheers

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Topic: Pay a fee when drivers enter to city centre