IELTS Topic. the power of advertising and its impact on high sales

y0_3mma 19 / 28 6  
Today, the high sales of popular consumers' goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold. To what extend do you agree or disagree?

Necessity is the mother of invention is an often-quoted saying. But nowadays the reverse of it is true. In modern business, 'invention' is the mother of necessity. I agree with the fact that more and more people are persuaded to buy goods or services that they do not actually need. 50

One main point would be that the specialists in advertisements use as a backbone for their commercial offers the human psychology. It has been scientifically proven that the more one watches or hears about a product, the more likely he would be to buy it. This can be easily seen in customers' everyday life, for instance when they go to watch a sports event, the stadium is rounded with logos of companies and big signboards; when they turn on the TV to watch a movie, characters use certain products in order to raise customers' interest. 96

In addition to this, the vast majority of ads contains false details or hides unwanted facts about the goods they are promoting. Every single product or service that appears on the TV or is written about in daily newspapers has no drawback, works 100 percent and is eye-catching. For instance, Ariel (a washing powder for washing machines) claims to remove persistent stains that other products cannot, being not only cheaper, but also scented. People who do not read the label could be tricked, because the seller could not have included that the washing powder contains a strong chemical powder that could damage the clothes. 104

All these being considered, people buy thousands of products every minute without actually having what to do with them. I believe the reason why this happens could be the fact that commercials are eye-catching, interesting and hide negative aspects of the goods. 42
In modern business, 'invention' is the mother of necessity.

....Very interesting : )... Good introduction !

specialists in advertisements

....I feel "specialists in advertising" sounds better

hides unwanted facts about the goods they are promoting

.... hides unfavorable facts about the goods
You write very well; good essay structure and excellent vocabulary....especially, I like your unique writing style :)
Good Luck!

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Topic. the power of advertising and its impact on high sales