IELTS writing 2 - Topic: pros and cons of public transport

baochau123 2 / 3  

What are the pros and cons of using public transport?

These days, people tend to commute in public transport more frequently. it is common to see buses or subways everywhere, especially in big city. However, using public transport can bring both pros and cons for us. In this essay, I will discuss why public transport is so popular and some negatives of using it.

I will start by looking at the advantages of the mass transit. The biggest positives of using public transport is that we can decrease the amount of fuel used for travelling. Instead of using car individually, we can go to work by bus or subway with other people. By doing this, we probably save a lot of fossil fuel, which may slow down the progress of climate change. Another major advantage is that the traffic jam will be minimize due to public transport. If more people travel by bus and subway, the number of cars will be decreased. Thus the traffic congestion is less likely to happen.

On the other hand, public transport also has negative effects. One of the main disadvantages is the lack of privacy. Subway and bus are often very crowded. You may have to sit next to many strangers uncomfortably for almost thirty minutes or more. Another drawback is that it is hard to take a bus or metro in the rush hour as there will be a lot of people. We may waste so much time and miss our favourite television programme.

Both sides considered, using mass transit have both ups and downs. While commuting in subway can lower our fuel consumption and prevent gridlock, many people find it uncomfortable to wait and sit in a packed train.

(277 words)
You are not being asked to discuss why public transportation is so popular and some negatives of using it. Look at the original discussion topic:

OT: What are the pros and cons of using public transport.
YT: In this essay, I will discuss why public transport is so popular and some negatives of using it.

You have changed the discussion requirement in totality. You are no longer using the pro and con discussion, but rather the popularity and negativity that comes with public transportation use. That is a clear prompt deviation which means your TA score will be based on an unrelated response. You will however, still be scored based on the original prompt related discussion paragraphs you have written. Kindly remember that you should never change the topic discussion / requirements because these will result in TA percentage penalties for you in the final score.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS writing 2 - Topic: pros and cons of public transport