General Training, Task 2 - Type: Direct Questions - Subject: Labour-saving and communication devices

Gaucho 8 / 15  

Is technology beneficial?

Labour-saving devices such as dishwashers and communication tools such as computers are supposed to make our lives easier. However, some people argue that these devices only make them more difficult.

Does modern technology reduce or increase stress?

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Technological gadgets have not only facilitated people's lives but also have played a pivotal role in reducing stress. However, some individuals believe that inventions such as dishwashers and computers, which were developed to save time and improve communication, only make daily routines harder and stressful.

To begin with, the lack of knowledge of some people to understand state-of-art devices' functionalities is the main reason for complaints. Some persons have immense difficulties to deal with technology because they were not used to live with it. As a result, they fell stressed for not having such an important ability. For example, my mother used to work as a secretary using basically telephone and paper. Nevertheless, computers, smartphones, and other equipments of communication were introduced in her work routines and she did not have conditions to sharpen her skills, which led her to lose great job opportunities. Therefore, like many other individuals, she believes that modern tools only increase her stress levels.

However, it must be pointed out that for who have a busy lifestyle household devices and communication tools are fundamental. Washing clothes, making dishes, booking appointments, buying products are some day-to-day activities that became easier after the invention of advanced machines. For instance, my sister who works eight hours per day and has two children. She would not be able to find time for leisure if she could not rely on labour-saving gadgets to make her home duties. In addition, she can make use of communication devices to solving personal problems such as to communicate with her children's school, sparing her free time to spend with her family. Hence, other people like my sister argue that these technological improvements reduced considerably their stress level.

In conclusion, technology has to be seen as beneficial. Although some people, who struggle to update their technological knowledge, think in the opposite way, devices such as dishwashers and computers have provided people with more time for entertainment as well as facilitated their ways of communication and work. As a consequence, advanced machines are making people's lives easier and less stressful.
You were so focused on the rephrasing of the prompt statement that you forgot to respond directly to the question being asked. Do you believe the computers and dishwashers add or reduce stress? Respond with a simple, single sentence sentiment such as :

Thinking about it, I would have to agree that quick use gadgets lower the stress levels of individuals.

This was a trick question in the task. You were no longer instructed to give your opinion on the topic. It is understood that you know the reference discussion type based on the complex presentation of the paragraph.

Stop using word fillers such as "To begin" and "However". Introduce your topic sentence instead. That helps to create a clear directional representation of your paragraph discussion. If you use a topic sentence, your examiner will automatically know what the flow of discussion will be, increasing your C&C score in the process.

You have written this essay using too many sentence fillers. Try to write no more than 290 words. With 290 words you will have properly discussed your point, while avoiding unnecessary references and discussion sentences in the essay. No more than 5 sentences per paragraph please. At this point, you should know how to use combined thought presentations in your essay. Keeping the discussion clear through the proper use of periods, semicolons, commas, colons, and other advanced grammar punctuation marks. This is an advanced essay topic and your writing should be able to reflect that. At this point, you are not ready to respond to this type of question yet.

Again, there is no plural form of "equipment". That is one type of word that is both singular and plural in presentation.

Your essay would have scored better had you limited your writing to only the important topics, reducing your examples and getting direct to the point in each discussion paragraph. Learn to write clearly using less words. That is how you score better in the Task 2 test.

Home / Writing Feedback / General Training, Task 2 - Type: Direct Questions - Subject: Labour-saving and communication devices