what is the true maker of success? provide evidence and citation

Tbontb 2 / 6  
When it comes to success, what automatically comes to our mind? Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Nobel Prize Winners are some of a few examples that most people will think of, but do they fully understand what it take to nurture a leader? It is easy to assume that "smart level" have a major effect on how success the person going to be and/or how much influence they going to make. Many Chief Executive and Entrepreneurs that are in the top twenty in the business industry, most of them graduated from Ivy League University and that make it more obvious that what people called IQ are important. In reality, anyone can be successful and can go beyond their capacity.

The name Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are extremely well-known by almost everyone. They are incredibly successful and are great leaders. What do they have in common? High sky-of the chart IQ. According to Gladwell, the author of Outliers, having a high IQ effect the person academically as well as future references. But is it really the case? Gladwell claims that IQ can only be measure to a certain level, "having additional IQ point doesn't seem to translate into any measurable real-world advantage" (79). The relationship between IQ and success only works up to a point, beyond that and it doesn't going to make any different. Another reference to look at is Dweck, a psychologist that spend over two decades to study the relationship between IQ and success. "It's not about how smart you are"- Dweck argues- "Hard working is what gets the job done" (6). It is true because the more effort one put in, the more reward you will get back. This idea is also supported in Gladwell book in his second chapter. He states that with ten thousands hours of practice, one can lead to perfection. But how many people actually spend ten thousands hours to practice their specialty? Not so many. It is difficult to obtain ten thousands hours by doing the same thing over and over again, it will limits the person ability to learn. The key that go in between the hours and a perfect masterpiece is opportunity. By "grabbing" as much opportunity as possible, one can create and/or intensify their purpose. An excellent example of this is competition, where one and only one, will thrive above all others to get the title of accomplishment. But don't forget the outcast, the one that fail to impress the judges because of their incompletion; after all, all human were created to fail.

In Paul's article "What if the secret to success is Failure", he explains that is necessary for people to fail because it is essential for them to accept it and move on with their life. It is the grit that matter and despite IQ test, you can still be success. "If you worked hard enough and showed real grit, that you could be successful (4)" he claims. A true leader will work extra hard and put in countless effort to develop and maximize their abilities. People who have a high score on the SAT or ACT test without put in too much effort lead to the thought of self-perfectionism and will have a hard time facing difficult task in the future. "I don't think they've grown the capacities to be able to handle that (4)" Paul wrote. When people get feedback that everything is great, they tend to ignore others factor and think of it as a genetic blessing from the sky. The studies performed by Levin showed that it is the grit that is important. Grit measure one characteristic and the ability to overcome hardship. "IQ was the better predictor of scores in statewide achievement tests, but measure of self-control were more reliable indicators of report-card grade (17)"- the study reported. Of course grit is not the only measure, there are also zest, self-control, social intelligence, gratitude, optimism and curiosity.

It been said that everybody fail at some point of time, but not the student. As a student, there are many things that protect them from failure; from teacher to administrator, counselor to parent, from connections to wealth, etc. No student want to fail because it will affect their grade and future in the long term, as least that what they thought, so they figured out the way to create a shield, a tough one, to help them rise through the crown. A teacher at Riverdale said:

"Our kids don't put up with a lot of suffering. They don't have a threshold for it. They are protected against it quite a bit. And when they go get uncomfortable, we hear from their parents. We try to talk to parents about having to sort of make it OK for there to be challenge, because that's where learning happen (46)"

The struggle to pull yourself through a crisis, to come to terms on a deep level with your own shortcomings and to labor to overcome them is exactly what student missing. If they don't fail, they don't learn, and if they don't learn, then they can't be successful. This is a factor that effects the creation of a good leader and what it takes to become successful. A true leader will accept failure as a warning and a lesson to able to grow.

It is my dream to be extremely successful in the future, but I know a dream is still a dream, unless you do something about it. I thought if I can get even close to my goal, I will be satisfied. As an average student with an average IQ that grown up in an average family, the expectation that people have for me was not very high. No one tell me what to do, no one tell me that I have to get good grade, nor did no one tell me that I can be successful. It is me who will determine my future, no matter how impossible it may sounds. To be honest, I am jealous with the straight A's student. Some of them work very hard for it, some of them don't. For me, no matter how hard I tried, I can never have all A's. I study every night for hours and do the best in my power, hoping to get at least a B in the class. In my case, grit is the only thing that keeps me going. You know your limits and you know what you want for yourself. You are the one who set your goal and it is your decision on whether or not you want to complete it or not. Despite how low or high your IQ is, if you can't think for yourself, and then is having a smart brain even matter?

Although there is a relationship between "smart level" and success, it doesn't mean one have to have a high IQ to be a leader. By understand that success is "ten percent talent and ninety percent hard work", every individuals have a chance to stand above all and receive the title of acknowledgment. The key to success is available all around us, but it is hard to find. Success is always a journey, and throughout the journey there are many risk and failure that waiting. So is it really matter that you have to have a high IQ to be success? Or is it the "ninety percent hard work" that decide whether or not one worth it to be success?
Adamtong 9 / 32 2  
The struggle to pull yourself through a crisis, to come to terms on a deep level with your own shortcomings and to labor to overcome them is exactly what student missing.

This is a pretty powerful sentence and make me realize what you think is the most important factor for a person longing for success.

Recently, I have think about the same topic. "The key to success is available all around us, but it is hard to find." is exactly what I want to convey but failing

I have learn a lot from this essay and many material I do not even hear about. I can see the efforts inside the essay and congratulations. :-)

Home / Writing Feedback / what is the true maker of success? provide evidence and citation