Two different recruiting criteria

solivagant 8 / 15 6  

employers' priority when choosing somebody to work

While recruiting a new employee, the employer should pay more attention to their personal qualities, rather than qualifications and experience. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give your opinion and include relevant examples.

Employing the right person for the position is one of the key elements which makes companies more competitive. I believe that hirers should prioritize not only candidates` academic credentials and previous work experiences, but also their characters.

On the one hand, it seems quite reasonable to hire the people whose qualifications are in line with the actual job. In fact, some occupations require specific skills and talents which necessarily involve a huge commitment. For example, for being a qualified doctor, one should get proper education and have at least 1 year of practical experience. If the recruiter fails to find the person who is a good match for the requirements in such sensitive jobs, it may have a negative influence on the reputation of the company in long-term.

On the other hand, I think that personality should be taken into account while hiring a new worker. There are some jobs that are based on team work, while the others are more individualistic. That is the reason why character should play an important role for companies when they have to decide whom to employ. For instance, programmers don`t need to be sociable and talkative , whereas if you are planning to work as a salesperson, you should have excellent communication skills. Personally, when I was working as a salesperson, it took me quite a long time to adapt to the team spirit because of my introversy.

So, in my view, both professional and personal qualities should be considered main criteria by the interviewers when they asses the candidates.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@solivagant
Hi there!

Be cautious of the way that you structure your sentences. Having a simplified approach to writing will help you.

For instance, in your first paragraph, you can rephrase the lines as:

Companies gain leverage when they employ the right people. Hiring managers should prioritize three things: academic credentials, prior work experiences, and personal character.

Notice how restructuring your sentence(s) this way enables you to appear to have a more formal method of merging your thoughts altogether. Try to apply a similar technique to the rest of your essay.

Looking at your second paragraph, for instance:

..., it seems quite reasonable to ...
... specific skills and talents which necessarily that involve a huge commitments.

...terns like quite would help you establish a firmer tone for your essay, creating more of an appropriate academic tone. Try to avoid repetitions as well. Talents and skills are both not far apart from each other in terms of meaning, therefore you can omit one or the other, depending on the context of your essay. In this case, for example, skills can be more appropriate considering that we are referring to honed and academically-achieved knowledge.

Keep these in mind as you are writing - and best of luck as always!

Home / Writing Feedback / Two different recruiting criteria