Essay : Which type of movie do you prefer? seious or entertaining?

buituandung231 1 / -  
Hi everyone,
can you please please help me correct and rate this essay?

There are usually two types of movies: amusing movies and serious movies. The amusing movies have the power to make people laugh, while the serious ones have the ability to make people think. However, the choice between the two types is still very controversial. In my opinion, I believe that we can get more benefits from the serious movies. Although entertaining movies help us get a lot of a fun, they're not as interesting as serious movies. In addition, serious movies encourage people to have a different altitude toward an issue.

Firstly, entertaining movies can make people feel relaxed after a long hard day at shool and work. These movies are generally humorous and very funny. Therefore they can cheer us up and help us release stress. In addition, entertaining movies do not require much thinking because of their simple plots and usually predictable endings. For instance, The Avengers which is an American blockbuster is a notable example of the entertaining kind of movies. The film is about a group of superheros trying to stop a villain and his army from attacking the Earth. As we can see, the plot of the film is a classical save-the-world story which has been seen by everyone again and again for more than half a century. In other words, the plot of the movie is not very simple and predictable. However this story is very successful through out the world since its simplicity helps audience loosen up their minds after long hours of working. In addition, The Avengers include a lot of jokes which make people laugh out loud during the movie and its happy ending makes people feel relieved and cheerful at the end of the movie. Therefore, thanks to the amusing movies like this, people just have to sit back and enjoy themselves. However, the entertaining movies' advantages seem to be outnumbered by those of the serious ones.

Admittedly, serious movies are designed to express one or more ways of thinking about love, humaneness. Morever, it may point out the dark sides of the society. Serious films usually see an issue in a very different aspect or discuss about an issue that we might never think about before. Everything in serious movies is not what we normally think: the good may not vanquish the evil in the end, the protagonists may not be the good guys or the endings may not be happy but sad. For instance, in the Korean movie called I Saw the Devil, when his girl friend are killed, an agent promise himself that he will do everything to take bloody vengeance against the monstrous serial killer, even if he become a monster himself. He did fullfill his promise but with a heavy cost of his family's lives. Thus this movie hint that vengeance is not always good for people to relieve their loss but sometimes it brings more pain to them. Some serious movies try to make you think about the dark sides of the world such as Blood Diamond. After the movies, we may learn a lesson that diamonds are not the sign of true love; indeed, the hidden meaning of diamonds is a cruel reality: endless conflicts and deaths of so many people. Therefore, serious movies make people have deep thoughts towards our lives and develop our mature thinking since they always give us moral lessons to learn.

Finally, contrary to many beliefs, most serious movies are not boring. In fact, there are a lot of fascinating serious movies.The plot of the serious films usually gives us brand-new and unique ideas about life in every aspect such as: science, crime, history or spiritual world. For example, the fantasy movie called Inception tell us an interesting story about a world where technologies allow a group of thieves to enter people's dream to steal information. Another notable example is the war film called Inglourious Basterds. Although the film is about the second world war, it comes up with an imaginary situation that the war ended in a very different way. Moreover, most events occur in serious movies have a perfect arrangement. Sometimes the last event is put at the beginning of the movie or the events from the past and the present are arranged in a parallel way. In addition, serious movies usually have a twist ending. We can see this in the thriller called Identities, the character that most people believe to be kind and harmless turns out to be a serial killer. This kind of ending gives people an exciting and surprising experience. Therefore, we can say that serious movies are the ones that keep us on edge of our seat until the end.

In conclusion, it is good to watch entertaining movies once in a while because they give us some happy moments, but we should try to watch serious movies since these movies are more interesting and they tell us realities of life. The hidden meanings of serious movies are usually beyond words and images which make us think about ourselves and our life. Therefore, the values of serious movies are usually remains through time.
Saidakhror 6 / 21  
i really liked your essay...your ideas are clear and it is easy to follow them for the reader. The essay is well structured through clearly organized bodies, however, i think that some tautology could be eliminated if you would use broader variety of words. Also, the structure of essay, even if good, still needs to be diversified, because the style you used: entry, example, support, small conclusion -is somehow boring, because the reader expects it to be the way it is, but this is only my subjective view

Home / Writing Feedback / Essay : Which type of movie do you prefer? seious or entertaining?