SAT ESSAY - Underrated vs Underrated

yolven_lu 1 / 3  
Is it better to be underrated or overrated (SAT essay trial)

As paradoxical as it could be, true knowledge and wisdom do indeed lie in silence. There are ways we can tell to categorize one as superficially intelligent or unwise but there is hardly any clue to tell someone who possesses profound knowledge and what-may-seem-to-be-abysmal wisdom.

It is undeniable that human may fall short and stumble upon the desire to be well recognized and labeled as superior and more insightful figure. However, the level of superiority in the realm of either physical or mental faculty is not easily and obviously measured by outer performance. Instead, it calls for more subtle judgment.

Among us, there are people who are consumed by others' blandishment upon their ability, talent, and skill. To one point, it may serve as encouragement to maintain the good achievement but, very often than not, it serves as hurdles to fall short. Take America or probably some other European countries, they are often regarded as superpower of the world economic and political system, being praised to the extent that they sit on their laurel and fall back behind the rally, while letting some other developing countries take over their position as key player in world economy.

On the other hand, remaining underrated helps to spark the fire of enthusiasm and burn the spirit to keep moving forward and improving what has been attained. Being underrated will definitely serve as force to learn and gain more insight, though in subtle way. Apart from it, being underrated also provides platform to introspect and reset strategies. Moreover, it contributes to the aid for staying focus rather than being distracted by the pressure as a price of being overrated.

In similar vein, take participants in competitions. They are often distracted by the high expectations his or her supporters put. Complaints of nervousness and distractions are frequent as a price they should pay for being overrated, but none of which are heard of from the seemingly non-seeded contenders. Instead, they would feel more relaxed and confident to face their rival. They wouldn't be burdened by any attempt to win just as to live up to people's expectation.

In another case, China, a country which was once underestimated for its rigidity and isolation, indeed flourishes in subtlety. No one ever envisaged that it will come up as a strong country in economy and politics. All of its present achievements results from constant learning and focused reformation while being taken for granted under the surface of spotlight.

Shortly saying, true admiration comes subtly within. It requires no boastful flattery nor overrated compliments. Even if there are any, they serve more as hurdles for improvement than a milestone to achieve something better. Hence, there is no way that showing our capability and being overrated could be better than being underrated and given way to work on enhancing skills and knowledge as they are way more precious to be kept within than ostentatiously lauded by public.
OP yolven_lu 1 / 3  
hi...everyone, i am planning to take SAT in the next future, so i guess i need some help to improve my writing skill. Is there anyone who wants to comment on my first piece of writing above (or below) :)? thanks beforehand...
At the beginning, I want to simplify it a little to improve the clarity:
There are ways we can tell when someone is unintelligent or unwise, but...

I think you need to add one more sentence to the end of the first paragraph, because it is too short. Add a sentence that will use the words "overrated" and "underrated" so that you can clearly express your argument about it.

My favorite sentence in the essay:
Being underrated will definitely serve as force for helping u s to learn and gain more insight, though in subtle way.

Shortly saying, To put it simply, true admiration is gained when someone uses subtlety and avoids being overrated. It requires neither boastful flattery nor overrated compliments.

:-)
OP yolven_lu 1 / 3  
Thanks so much Kevin...okay...i got your point. :)
cathchen 4 / 16  
I agree with Kevin, simplify the introduction will make it clearer. Nevertheless, this is simply such a great essay. ;)

Home / Writing Feedback / SAT ESSAY - Underrated vs Underrated