To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities.

nuradiapuspa 11 / 25  

[GRE : ISSUE] characteristics of a society

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

***

A city is considerable as representative of a country or a region. With its complexity due to dense population from various background, a city could describes the characteristic of its country or its region. It is tempting to believe that the characteristic of a society will be comprehensively understood when we conduct a deeper research on its major cities.

Furthermore, all great civilizations have had a flourishing cities. The government/king/queen have been living here. To understand most of its people, the way in which it is ruled, we must understand the city. In addition, cities have most of qualified universities and jobs which contribute to economic aspect and prosperity of society.

With these evidences, it is easy to believe that by studying the city, the characteristic of a society will be easily concluded. However, I argue that how the way society live its life is not as simply as knowing the life of its city. Moreover, in a developed countries, there is a huge inequality of many aspects. For example, Indonesia has a largest archipelago with its huge variation of tribes, cultures, beliefs, etc. The cities in Indonesia only represent few of Indonesian people. The most population have been agricultural, and many rituals can only be understood in the context of a rural backdrop.

So, while there are arguments that city is the best area for studying a society, it is clear that there is a wiser way to put rural background as main aspects in assessing a society, especially for developing or low-income countries.
Nuradia, you have a lack of control when it comes to using the English language during your presentation. You need to familiarize yourself more with the general descriptive words that are used in the English language so that you do not use unnecessary markings such as backslashes (e.g. government / king / queen) when a simple term such as "the seat of power" would have sufficed.

There is also a lack of clarity in your discussion because, all the while, I thought you were agreeing with the statement based on the majority of your discussion presentation. Then it turns out that you were not in agreement with the discussion provided. Your essay should have focused on that opinion because that is your personal opinion that disagrees with the given statement. This is not a comparative essay. This is a direct personal opinion discussion based on the prompt you were provided.

What you should have done was relate your actual opinion and then, thought of the contradictions to your belief that you could have countered in the discussion. The point of this essay is to debate yourself. Look for the loopholes in your discussion and then defend it. Doing so would have boosted your score to a 5. Right now, you are between a 3 and 4 due to the problems that are present in your discussion and presentation.
OP nuradiapuspa 11 / 25  
Dear @Holt,

Thank you so much for your advices, those help me a lot.
I will try to write the better essay next time.

Home / Writing Feedback / To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities.