Unethical methods in advertising today

Martinmirror 1 / -  
Some of the methods used in advertising are unethical and unacceptable in today's society.

To what extent do you agree with this view?

In the modern era, companies tend to use any methods so they can outperform the market. Advertising is one of the essential tools that companies use to promote their products; however, some advertisements use unethical content which is against the social norms. This essay will discuss the reasons why some companies create negative advertisements and why they are considered to be unacceptable.

Firstly, many companies especially the new ones aim to position their brands in the customers' minds in any possible way whether it is acceptable or not. Some may attack certain religions so they can push people to talk about them. To illustrate, a company in Israel attacked Muslim women in their advertisements. although many people were angry at the company, it became popular not only in Israel but also all around the world. hence, in this pragmatic world, many businesses care about profits only and give no attention to important values such as respect and diversity.

Secondly, some products offer solutions to specific problems. So marketers tend to exaggerate these problems making people feel bad about themselves and try their product. For example, a gym might promote its services by making fun of obese people in their advertisements. Moreover, sometimes such advertisements target kids which results in serious self-esteem problems for both adults and kids. These advertisements might achieve their goals but they would cause serious problems in societies.

To conclude, advertisements must never hurt people's feelings or ignore social principles. Governments should monitor all advertisements before they are launched and define strict rules to keep advertising entertaining. As the public should not be annoyed by companies' competitions.
yellowjello123 2 / 3  
Hey Martinmirror, I don't know what your word count is like, but I do not feel that your ideas are very developed. One of your main points is somewhat contradicting.

To illustrate, ... it became popular not only in ...

I don't think popular is a good word choice for this sentence, maybe use something like infamous. Also think you have to stear away from negative advertisements like the religion one because it contradicts your point of how companies are able to gain profits from unethical ads. If the company ended up losing money from the ad, it is not a very good example. Maybe instead you can talk about something like greenwashing, where companies portray the false impression or provide misleading information about how they are more environmentally friendly. Because people often don't see through these, you can talk about how companies are able to take advantage of this.
This essay will automatically a failing score under the TA section. You have created your own discussion requirements as opposed to discussing the essay as per the instructions provided. Your error can be clearly seen in the following:

OP: To what extent do you agree with this view?
YP: This essay will discuss the reasons why some companies create negative advertisements and why they are considered to be unacceptable.

The instruction is not asking you to discuss the reasons why company create negative advertisements. It asking you if you agree or disagree with the statement:

Due to the error in your Task Achievement, it will be impossible for your essay to achieve a passing score for this discussion essay. Regardless of how well you did in the other sections. The TA is what matters the most because it fully reflects your English understanding abilities which, in this case, is proven to be faulty.

Home / Writing Feedback / Unethical methods in advertising today