At universities and colleges, sports and social activities vs. Classes and libraries

Soniasa 1 / -  
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?

At universities and colleges, sports and social activities are just as important as classes and libraries and should receive equal financial support.

Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

It goes without saying that budget of universities is limited. In consequence, whether authorities should spend more money on classes and libraries in comparison with sports and social activities or, extracurricular programs deserve to be expended the same amount of money has been a controversial issue for a long time. In order to figure out what decision would be the best with regard to this subject, it is needed to look at the both sides in a university context. As far as I am concerned, I agree with this statement that at universities and colleges, sports and social activities are just as important as classes and libraries and should receive equal financial support. In this essay, I will try to explain some specific reasons according to which I think are the most well-known viewpoints among people.

In the first place, when it comes to knowledge expansion and information acquisition, there is no doubt that classes and libraries are of great importance. In fact, as we all know, the main mission of universities and colleges is to prepare an appropriate scholastic place for students in order to increase their information and to boost their knowledge concerning a specific field of study as much as they can. Indisputably, the quality of such places in terms of the building, educational equipment, and resources has a significant impact on the quality of learning. To put it another way, the more the quality of these places, the higher the quality of learning. For instance, as a university student at Iran University of Science and Technology back in 2000, I was majoring in software engineering. I had taken a course called "Compilers" and it needed computers to check and run our assignments. Unfortunately, since my school did not have up-to-date devices, my fellow students and I were not able to check our practical assignments so-called "projects". Hence, we had no idea how we could discern and subsequently, eliminate the likely defect. After the university decided to expend money to equip the school with brand new devices, everyone could check and run their assignment on those newly computers. So, the students started to share their ideas about the possible amendments of the projects running on those devices with each other and took advantage of the solutions the students offered. As you can see, equipping the school with better educational stuff led to better understanding of the course the students had taken and finally a better mark.

Next, it is a well-established fact that sports and social activities help us to improve our physical and mental health. Since we are talking about these kinds of programs in a university context, so we should consider benefits they have regarding the associations with the students' lives. Studying constantly could be overwhelming and the students need to get rest and have some fun. One of the best ways to do so is by doing some exercises or joining sports clubs. To illustrate, the university where I studied years ago had a nice tennis club. Whenever I felt frustrated of studying continually, I attempted to go to that club and join others to play tennis. I was really helpful because when I returned home, I felt so refreshed and I could focus on my course works more efficiently. As a result, extracurricular activities and sports are beneficial to students.

In conclusion, though may oppose, I think that sports and social activities are as important as academic classes and libraries and thus they should receive financial support equally.
Hi Sonia, first of all, WELCOME to the Essay Forum Team, we hope that this is just the start of a great partnership, we strive to provide you with the best and most accurate feedback in all your writing projects. Here on EF, we make sure that you will be able to present a more credible and a strong essay for the purpose it is meant for.

Having said that, please find the suggested modifications below;

- that the budget
- of the universities isare limited.
- deserve to be expendedexpanded the
- best with regards to this subject,
- it is needed to lookbe reviewedat thein both sides
- I will try to explain some specific reasons
- according to which I thinkbelieve are the
- most and well-known

There you have it Sonia, this is just a few remarks made for the enhancement of your essay, I hope it's helpful as well as useful in your essay revisions and should you need further assistance, do let us know and we will be here for you.

Home / Writing Feedback / At universities and colleges, sports and social activities vs. Classes and libraries