Should universities ensure a completely equitable distribution of students in every subject?

Chu Thuong 1 / -  

Should universities accept equal numbers of male and female students in every subject?

With the appearance of the feminist movement, females in recent decades have been treated as equal as males. This supports the idea that universities should ensure a completely equitable distribution of students in every subject. While this might seem to be a practical suggestion at first, I am strongly against this proposal for certain reasons.

Firstly, this seems to be unrealistic when an overview of the variation of the gender ratio across the world has shown the number of males relative to females is male-biased in almost every country, this ratio is around 105 males per 100 females. This means it is impossible for universities to arrange an exactly equal number of boys and girls into every major. Otherwise, if this situation is capable of implementation, the arrangement is unfair for both. In each subject, every university has a quantity of entry-level, the entrance of students will be decided by their total points, and obviously, it is filtered from top to bottom, the higher of scores, the higher of chances a student matriculates. However, in the case of being equal in males and females, for example, if a girl with a higher mark than a boy, to ensure a balanced number of boys and girls in one class, forcing the university to choose the boy instead of another one. This is actually unacceptable.

Besides, not every man and woman is suited to all the majors based on their overall abilities and interests. For instance, some science subjects are mainly not done well by women, such as mathematics, computer science, technology, and other fields of knowledge, which are totally dominated by males. Despite the noticeable progress that has been achieved in acknowledging that men and women both can be capable in science, female employees may still face evident discrimination in male-dominated work environments. Therefore, it is challenging for women to compete with men in such fields. Similarly, it is hard for male students to learn embroidery as it is for female students to study anatomy. As this shows, it is right to expect boys and girls to have separate academic pursuits and choose their majors on their own.

To conclude, I must affirm once again, it is neither realistic nor necessary to accept equal numbers of males and females in universities. Labeling this opinion as "a symbol of fairness" totally cannot be supported.
The writer will lose points for not properly restating the simple, one liner topic sentence as provided. The first paragraph should not have more sentences than the original. It should also save the point of view discussion for the reasoning paragraphs since only an opinion with thesis statement is required for the paragraph. Since the thesis statement is not present, full points cannot be given as a preliminary score.

The test requires the student to intelligently discuss a topic within 3-5 sentences per paragraph. This is a conversational rather than academic paper afterall. While this essay is well within qualified reasoning, the writer has to focus more on concise writing, as if answering within a class verbal discussion instead. That is why there is a writing time limit.

As a test essay this is well-written but over-discussed. As such it is in danger of losing out on point increases and might receive penalties instead.

Home / Writing Feedback / Should universities ensure a completely equitable distribution of students in every subject?