IELTS Task 2 - University education and attendance to the classes question - optional or mandatory?

KimieKP 1 / -  
Some people believe that university students are required to attend the classes. Others hold the view that going to classes should be optional for students.

Discuss both views

It is commonly believed that it is a must for university students to attend classes. Some, however, argue that students should have the right to choose whether go to class or not. As far as I am concerned, university students should be required to go to classes since it would help students gain life experience from professors' lectures and build teamwork skills.

The students who skip classes have their reasons. The main one is they prefer self-learning time. They have said that attending class and learning knowledge they've already known is a pain.

Although I could understand why some students don't go to class, I still insist that universities should strictly require students to attend class.
In the first place, experienced professors could lecture their students on a wide range of knowledge outside the book so students could prepare for their future careers.

In the second place, attending classes could also help students interact with other students to exchange information and gain confidence in public relations.
In conclusion, there is a tremendous benefit from attending classes in university so students can have knowledge for life and learn from other students in class.
Since this is a task 2 essay, it should have at least 250 words written into it. You only wrote 192 words, The result of the non compliant word count is an immediate failing score. The reason for that is 2 fold:

1. Perdentage point deductions will be applied based upon the lacking word count leading up to 250 words. Based on the heavy lack of word count, the starting score for this essay will already be in the failed category.

2. The overall essay will be scored based upon the premise that the overall discussion is not fully developed. This is a reason that leads back to the shortness of the essay in terms of word count.

These 2 reasons alone will be more than enough for you to fail the test. It is improtant that you write at least 250 words for the task 2 essay going forward to avoid the auto failing score.
selenakieu 4 / 14 1  
Hi @KimieKP
You should have 4 paragraphs in your essay. First paragraph is often used to rephrase the question given. In the second paragraph, you have to mention the first statement/problem/reason/...(based on the question). Next, the third paragraph, the second statement/problem/reason/...(based on the question) has to be discussed in this paragraph. Finally is the conclusion paragraph. Hope you will get results that you want!

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Task 2 - University education and attendance to the classes question - optional or mandatory?