University English Blog post based on the movie Kill Bill

rosaleen98 1 / -  
Hey, this is URGENT
So we had an assignment and this was the instructions my teacher left:

In a blog post of approximately 500 words, Choose one of the examples used in the video series (I chose the movie Kill Bill) and identify and explain how the artist has copied the original, transformed certain elements, and recombined other elements. Then, explain to what extent you believe the artist has created something original enough that it doesn't infringe on the original work's copyright. In your conclusion, state what guidelines you think creators should follow to avoid "ripping something off."

As support for your blog post be sure to refer to specific ideas from the video series about copying, transforming, and recombining.

Make sure you demonstrate ethical attribution of any sources mentioned in your blog post by citing them in a method appropriate for the medium of a blog post.

Heres my blog post: (based on movie Kill Bill)
(In need of a good title as well)

Tarantino's "remix master thesis"

Many box office hits aren't as original as you think they are. "Of the ten highest grossing films per year from the last ten years, 74 out of 100 are either sequels or remakes of earlier films or adaptations of comic books, video games, books, and so on. Transforming the old into the new... is Hollywood's greatest talent." (Kirby Ferguson).

As Kirby Ferguson is expressing in this quote, movies nowadays rely heavily on content that already exist. Some would even say that "remix" is Hollywood's favorite word. Take a look at the movie Kill Bill for example. Its nothing more than just a homage packed with several components from numerous films. This is evident in the scene with Elle Driver who is disguised as a nurse. It's practically a recombination of elements from the movie Black Sunday (1977) where the woman is also dressed up as a nurse in effort to kill a patient with a syringe.

Another example is the famous yellow jumpsuit which appears in both Kill Bill and the film Game of Death (1978) starring Bruce Lee. In both films, Bruce Lee and Uma Thurman are wearing this jumpsuit fighting off their enemies. Although they might be wearing the same clothing, both films have their own distinctive style and elements which makes Kill Bill a product of its own.

Some other examples of how the movie Kill Bill derived elements from films include The Searchers (1956) where the bride is standing in the doorway, Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) both films have very similar looking cars with a line of sunglasses, Sanjuro (1962), and more.

Personally, I believe that Kill Bill is Tarantino's "remix master thesis" and not a rip off of any other film. Almost all the scenes in this movie are reenactments of other films making this one big tribute. Without previous films to influence us, we would have never had unique creations such as Kill Bill. As Quentin Tarantino says "I steal from every movie ever made".

(Please give me any more ideas if you have any thanks! also need this done in as soon as possible so please anything would be great)
Rosaleen, opening with the quote by Ferguson is a good approach as it explains the content of your forthcoming paragraphs. However, do not represent it as a part of the essay by presenting it i paragraph form. That should be in block form, at the top of the page in italics. The reason being that this is a quote that you are using as a hook to get the reader interested in your work. It is not part of the discussion.

The first paragraph should open not with an explanation of the quote but rather an introduction to Quentin Tarantino as a film maker who is heavily influenced by the movies that he watched growing up. Do more research about Tarantino as a film maker in order to come up with a better introduction to the "remix" influence before you add on the paragraph explaining the quote from Ferguson. Make sure that connects Tarantino to the "remake" syndrome in Hollywood based upon the quote.

Now, as far as your examples are concerned, you need to delve deeper into the comparisons in such a way that you explain the original context of the scene (from the original movie) and then explain how Tarantino changed the context of the scene but still kept the elements that made it memorable in the first place. The essay you wrote severely lacks the analytical and comparison discussion. All you did were obvious comparisons. You need to look into why these original scenes fit in the storytelling process of Tarantino in order to better explain the differences that made his work original even though it calls to mind the older movie scene.

In the last paragraph, you say that Kill Bill is a big tribute movie. Others will beg to differ and say that Tarantino just did the lazy film making work by ripping off other movies into another story. Something that Bollywood movies were accused of in the past. How would you defend Tarantino in that context? Look at the opposing angles to your reasoning and make sure to defend your stand as best as you can. Instead of calling it a tribute movie, call it a "homage" to the original filmmakers and then point out the influences that these people had on him. You can research that easily from his interviews when he was promoting Kill Bill as he did not make it a secret that he was ripping off other films in his own.

With only 500 words to work with, I strongly urge you to use only one scene from the film in order to satisfy the evidence portion. Try to pay equal attention to the other parts of the essay instructions that you were provided with. I already gave you instructions regarding how to do that. Just do a good job in researching, stick to one memorable example, and your essay should be fine.

As for the title for your post. Don't worry about it for now. Just call it "Movies That Influenced Kill Bill" for now. Decide on the final title after you have completed your research and the final version of the paper. After you have done that, you will have enough information on hand to consider what a more effective title for your blog post should be. That will be your final title.

Home / Writing Feedback / University English Blog post based on the movie Kill Bill