Visiting another country is always better than only watching it on television

Pramudita 14 / 11 6  
Some people say that you can learn more about another country by watching television programmes and films about it than by actually visiting it.
How true is this statement? Is there anything you can learn about another country by visiting it that you cannot learn by watching programmes and films about it?

These days, television has been vastly popular among society. Many argue that programs and films featured on television can be the most effective spectacles of learning. It could be accepted, but I strongly believe that visiting other countries is better, since humans are able to study more such as behavior of inhabitants that cannot be obtained by only watching television.

First of all, through TV, people are able to learn about culture of country. This is because some films virtually reflect culture of the place they come from. A film: Memoirs of Geisha, for instance, informs insight of Japanese cultures such as procedures for the tea ceremony and how to wear traditional clothes as kimono. It certainly will help mankind to gain much knowledge about Japan.

On the other hand, some lessons cannot be understood without coming to the area, thanks to much information actually are not aired on television programs. It is caused many things cannot be told in detail, so that only by travelling to the site the information is known as a whole. Taking Papua as an example, because some news on TV, I thought Papua was really old-fashioned, primitive city. However, when I went to the town, it was extremely unexpected, because I found the city possessed the modern infrastructures: malls, cinemas and hotels. Moreover, the local people who I met were very friendly, whereas some news reported that Papua's communities were truly cruel.

To sum up, although humans acquire a lot of cognizance easily just by seeing shows and movies on TV, but going to other places is useful, since some horizons cannot be found, if individuals only watch television.
dveri 2 / 3 1  
Hello, Pramudita! I like that your essay has a definite structure, however there are some sentences I'd have written a bit differently. Here they are:

1) humans are able to study more such as behavior of inhabitants that cannot be obtained by only watching television => humans are able to learn more about such elements of culture as behavior of inhabitants which cannot be studied by only watching television

2) thanks to much information actually are not aired on television programs => because much information isn't actually shown on television

3) It is caused many things cannot be told in detail, so that only by travelling to the site the information is known as a whole => That's becase many things can't be told in detail on TV, so only travelling to the site can provide such information as a whole.

4) because some news on TV, I thought Papua was really old-fashioned, primitive city => because of some news on TV, I thought Papua was a really old-fashioned, primitive city

5) when I went to the town, it was extremely unexpected => when I went to the town, it was completely different from what I had expected

What do you think? Bear in mind I'm not a native speaker :)

Home / Writing Feedback / Visiting another country is always better than only watching it on television