"wake up, sleepy head!"; My Memoir : Art is silence of thougths

qn1144 1 / -  
English is my second language. When write a college essay is really tough. Please check my gramar. Thank you!
Art is silence of Thoughts

I was cleaning my messy room on a Saturday afternoon. It was around two o'clock, the sun outside was beating mercilessly through the window and cause the room feel a little warm. I was placing my old and dirty shoes on the wooden counter by the closet door. I peeked inside the closet to check if I left any shoes that I threw in there sometime when I got home from school. The clothes smell fresh and relaxing. I didn't find any old shoes or clothes that need to be toss out, but I found a brown box with a layer of dust cover the lit. I opened it. It was full of dried paint and brushes. It remind me of a most happy yet embarrassing memories of an art contest in middle school.

A morning of March started with a knock on my door then my brother voice shouting "wake up, sleepy head!" I slowly moved away from my warm blanket and the cold air attacked my skin, gave me a chill feeling behind my neck. It was six o'clock as I glanced at my clock on the wall with my puffy eyes. I went to the bathroom, picked up my pink toothbrush and filled it with the colorful toothpaste my mom bought. The toothpaste spreads in my mouth with sweetness and somewhat spicy. I looked out the window with one eye closed because I'm still sleepy. The vision was blurry due to the dust layer but I still able to tell that the sun already up. I jumped in the hot shower for about fifteen minutes then went back to my room. I picked out my uniform from my closet and put them on. I looked in the mirror and felt a little upset. My family didn't have money to buy me new clothes, so I had to wear my cousin old uniforms. The shirts stained yellow and stretched due to being washed too many times. My pant was short and with my shirt tucked inside made me look like a tomboy. I went to the kitchen and my brother was eating his food. I sat down in front of him where my food is placed, I started eating. It was roasted eggs with a slice of bread and a cup of milk placed on the right. Mom foods is always delicious but didn't fill my hunger from a long night.

After breakfast, me and my brother rushed to the car and got going. I sat on the passenger seat and looked out the open window. The weather was nice, sunlight illuminated through any gap of clouds. After sat in the car for 10 minutes, we finally at the front gate of my school. There were students came from all directions headed to the front door. It was crowded, I looked around and sought for my friends but I got only five minutes to get to my class. I was disappointed that I wasn't able to find any of my friends. I hoped I will see one of the on the way to my first class. My first and second class is ESL. This class only for student with English as second language. I wanted the class to end since I can't understand the deep voice my ESL teacher. As soon as the bell rung, I rush to my third class which is art.

I hated reading and writing because I wasn't able to understand English at that time, so drawing is the only thing I enjoyed to do in school. I walked to the door of the class, Mr. Willis, my art teacher greeted me with a warm and delightful voice "good morning ". He wore a white t-shirt and a khaki pant just like a student. He shut the door gently when the bell rung and difficultly walked his large body to table. He stared talking, his voice filled the atmosphere and kept the students to listen. It sounded like a lot of information but I didn't understand anything. Mr. Willis came to my table and asked one of my friend, Steven to translate for him. Steven speaks the same language as I do but he's born here, so he only able to translate the basic of what to do for the next assignment.

The next drawing was about Chinese New year, the year of a mouse. It will be due next week. Students allowed to choose their own materials to complete the assignment. I chose water painting because the colors so transparent they visually appear to glow on the paper. I started with a sketches immediately since I got so many ideas. I felt the excitement inside of me. I ignored what's around me and kept drawing until the bell disturbed my concentrate. I worked on the sketch for almost three days, my mind tricked me with new ideas and kept me away from a certain one. The fourth day, I continue to work on it with full of my effort. My hand was cover with pencil chalk and my face looked like a cat just finish playing with mutt. The sketches finally done. I draw a mouse sit on a big Chinese gold under a gate with firecrackers and a sign on top saying Happy New Year in Chinese. The picture was so boring and emotionless without color, but I satisfied with the result. I got only two days left to finish painting it. I didn't own any paint or brushes, so I borrowed them from Mr. Willis. I knew I won't have enough time to finish in class, so I took the paint and brushes home without permission. It was a nerve-wrecking decision. I was keeping one's figure cross while Mr. Willis didn't realize he's missing some materials, but I promised to myself that I'll return them. I felt so beat after the fourth day. I thought that I had bitten off more than I could chew, but I won't give up. For the next two days, I had burn the midnight oil to finish this assignment.

On the last night till the work is due, I started panting, and I imagined the picture with only red and gold. I looked closer and realized there are many details that needed more different colors. I wanted the color express the emotion and full of life. It was difficult and almost impossible, but after many times of practices and had my hand full with painting, I almost finish the pictures. The night already put the entire city to sleep; I was exhausted and fell as sleep on the table. I was so tired that not even one dream would come and disturb. I felt like I just fall as sleep for a short amount of time, but I heard my brother voice shouting angrily "Wake up!" That voice gives me shocks that make my body stood up without purpose. It's time for school again, I rushed to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, showered just like any other days. This morning, my body was so tiring that my brother mocked me with a question "what's with that jelly fish walking?" I didn't even bother to get angry at him because I was out of energy. He looked energetic as usual because he had never tried hard on any of his work, so he had no idea what I'm really went through.

This morning, my work will be due. It was unfinished. I need a little more time to finish it. As the end of second period bell rung, I walked to my art class in disappointment. Mr. Willis stands at the door, and greeted his students as usual. I sat down on my seat on the every far left of the room. I looked at my painting and feel like I have never feel this disappointed before. I told myself just turn the work in for some credits to comfort my disappointment. Class started, Mr. Willis started talking but I didn't understand anything until Steven translated them for me. Steven spoke slowly in my language, sometime put in an English word that he wasn't able to translate. He got a high pitch voice makes him sound like a kid learning how to read. He told me that the assignment is due at the end of the class, so I can finish it now. I felt like 20 pounds had removed from my chest. I was relieved and excited to finish my painting. I pulled out my unfinished work and the dirty brushes that I didn't have a chance to wash them last night. I started painting with all my strength, speed and effort. The room filled with noise of students talking, the smell of chalk and paint lingered in the air. I'm almost finish, the painting had a mouse sat on top of a piece of Chinese Gold. Behind the mouse was a gate with a sign said Happy New Year in Chinese and firecrackers hanging on the side of the gate. Everything was colored, but one thing still didn't satisfy me. The mouse was so lifeless and unhappy. I had tried to think how to make it look more happy and natural, but I hadn't got a clue. Mr. Willis walked around to check on other students and suddenly stopped by my desk. I gave him a shock look straight into his eyes. He was looking at my painting, and then he started talking. As he pointed at the mouse's cheeks, he said "cheeks, light pink". He said the words loud and clear so, I can able to understand these simple words. I didn't get what he meant. I kept thinking for a little while then I suddenly understand it and busted an "oh!" out of my lungs. I immediately picked up my brush and painted the mouse's cheeks pink. That little changes the entire mood of the panting. It has a lot emotion painted onto it; the red of firecrackers and the letters brought out happiness and excitement; the tone made it look solid and realistic. I was very satisfied with my work, all thanks to Mr. Willis. I turned my painting in to Mr. Willis before the class end. I saw his eyes somewhat satisfied with my work. It made me felt a little relieved.

Three weeks went by, I didn't hear anything about the grades or the painting from Mr. Willis. Friday morning of the third week, I went to class and met Mr. Willis at the door just like any normal days. Mr. Willis was holding a white envelope in his right hand, brightly smiled at me and said something, but I didn't understand. His voice was loud, clear, happy and exciting. "Huh?" I replied. I was clueless of what he meant. "Congratulation!" he added with the bright smile. "Thank you" I replied him just to be polite even I had no idea what is going on. He handed me the envelope. I sat down inside the class, pulled out my dictionary and curiously translated the letter. On the left corner of the letter, it said From: Art Center with the address listed below it. The next line was in bold letters said "Congratulations! Quynh, you have won 1st place in the Chinese New Year contest and rewarded $25 gift card at Art Center!" I was in confusion for a moment then I start to understand Mr. Willis's actions earlier. My body suddenly frozen, unable to speak but my mouth was slightly open. My hands trembled and I felt my cheeks starting burn. I stood up then did a little silly dance move to calm myself. After gathered myself back, I proudly told all my friends about it, and I couldn't wait to tell my parents.

Excitement filled my body the entire day, but there were still an uneasy part in the back of mind. I thought about the next day and it gave me a chill feeling behind my neck. I'll had to stand on the stage of the stadium, in front of hundreds of students. Only student that achieved or win something able stand up there. All eyes will be staring at me, others may applause, and others will make fun of me and laugh. Anyone in school would love to get recognized by others and teachers, but to me it was embarrassing to stand in front of everyone dressed like a tomboy and unable to say anything. I kept thinking about it cause my nervousness to attack my sleep with a nightmare. I dreamed that everybody was making fun and bashing me. I felt depress and scared, then I woke up and found that I'm crying in my sleep. The next day, I didn't show up at school. My friends called in the house phone and concerned if I'm okay. I lied that I had a flu that I couldn't go to school. I stayed home the entire day, and started painting my mom portrait with the left overs paint and brushes that I've never return to Mr. Willis.

Whenever I recalled that foolish memories of my childhood, I ask myself if I want to continue drawing. I answer---yes, I do. I always thought that I'll to be a doctor like what my mom wanted, but treating patients is not what I would enjoy. After that happy memories of mine, I believe that if I'm scared of others thoughts and laughers, I won't able to reach out for my dreams. I ignored what other people think, and what people wanted me to be. I dream to be an artist, a designer or an architecture. I enjoy drawing and I wanted people to appreciate my works; I want to express my knowledge and feelings through art; I want to dream of my drawing, and I want to draw my dream to reality.
It was around two o'clock, the sun outside was beating mercilessly through the window and cause the room feel a little warm.

It was around two o'clock, the sun mercilessly invaded my room through the window making it pretty hot.

need to be toss out

need to be tossed out
It reminded me of a most happy, yet embarrassing memories of an art contest in middle school.
zazros 1 / 3  
You should organize your into smaller paragraphs; the paragraphs you wrote are huge. Furthermore, you have a few grammatical errors here and there. Try working on those a bit more. I suggest that you read your story out loud (not in your head) in a slow and clear matter. that way, whenever something don't seem right coming out of your mouth, you can change it to something that fits better.

I'm sorry I can't read your whole story right now as I'm heading out.

Home / Writing Feedback / "wake up, sleepy head!"; My Memoir : Art is silence of thougths