ESSAY ON "THE WAR ROOM" MOVIE ABOUT CLINTON'S '92 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN

kyleroland 4 / 7  
The "War Room" is an award winning documentary analyzing the political madness that is involved with a presidential campaign. Examining the mental, emotional, and moral aspects of politics, Chris Hegedus and D.A. Pennebaker unravel the truth behind the seemingly cynical world of politics. The election under scrutiny is the election between (then) current President George Bush and upcoming Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton. Providing a one-sided view, Clinton's campaign is the only one filmed. However, as the producers dive into the campaign, the realization is made that the president is just the face of a behind the scenes team of people who are in charge of transportation, strategy, media, and communication. The two people at the forefront of Clinton's campaign are James Carville, the seemingly combative strategist, and George Stephanopoulos, the quiet, soft-spoken director of exposure. Engaged in the most popularized election in America, each move is under extreme focus, causing great pressure and stress. However, unlike one may believe, the film shows a softer side to politics and the people involved. As a result, one is completely justified in saying that, although strenuous, the political process is rewarding and positive.

The presidential campaign is a stressful process that takes years of preparation and organization. The dedication involved is what makes the conclusion a moment of levity regardless of result. The "War Room" gives the viewer an inside view to the entire electoral process. The viewer sees the morning donuts ignored by blinded politicians focused on phone calls and the twisting of information to the benefit of the candidate. However the viewer also sees the development of a family and the close bonds being made by a team (or army if you will) that dreams of success and a unified goal (winning the WAR). George Stephanopoulos and James Carville are the premiere members of Clinton's team and ultimately responsible for his victory. The viewer sees a transformation between the two professional politicians that show an inner-softness to the world of politics. Most obviously, in a final scene of the movie, the two men receive praise from their co-workers for the political work. Carville, a hard-nosed kind of man, breaks down in front of national television thanking is co-workers, family, army, and supporters. Carville is unable to finish his thank you and secludes into tears, surrounded by about 25 fellow politicians. The impact on one's life is so significant when participating in of a movement that changes the world that the finished product is almost unbearable. The dedication is so widespread that even the smallest act of making a "home made sign with letters bigger than Jerry Brown's," is part of the machine that drives a campaign to victory. Like any fine working machine, a positive input is yielded when the process is done right.

Contradictory to the positive aspects of a politics, there is a blaring negative side as well. The deceit, lies, twisted information and cynicism involved in politics are an unfortunate side affect of a candidates drive to win. In a winner take all match, the presidential candidates in "The War Room," accept the necessity of doing anything required to win. These measures are exposed "The War Room" by Clinton's tireless campaign leaders Stephanopoulos and Carville. The two, along with the help of a dedicated volunteer staff use progressive, quick, and relentless tactics to maneuver their candidate to the head of the election. Stephanopoulos runs through the building at the end of the debate in order to be the first representative contacted from the presented parties. This allows him to be able to spin the information provided in a way the will help his candidate, Bill Clinton, when the press prints the paper the next day. This is just the way the "political game" is played. Although seemingly contemptuous, all sides in a campaign contribute to make this behavior not only accepted, but promoted. The negative behavior is not only performed by the candidate's immediate staff, but also by community volunteers and supporters. For example, the simple act of taking down an opponents sign, or creating and anti-support rally against another candidate, show the lack of morals present during a campaign. Although ending with a feeling of accomplishment, there are many negative steps made along the campaign trail; a trail that ends in positive emotions.

America is based on a democracy where everyone is entitled to their own opinions. The social availability the country gives to its people allow alternative parties to participate in elections. In "The War Room", we find that Perot, although completely out of the running is staying in the race. Whether this is for personal pride or attempting to ruin the population's unity, only Perot knows. However, the race between the two real candidates, Clinton and Bush, is altered due to the considerable percent voting for Perot. This presents the potential winning candidates with the controversial issue of neither candidate gaining 50 percent of the votes. This connects to today's perennial failure of a candidate, Ralph Nader. The disruption a third party causes is immense especially when the election is so close between the other two parties. There are many outside forces that sway campaigns and the political process as a whole.

The positive finale of an election and the process of getting to a final decision outweigh the negative aspects of trickery and deception. Simply playing the game, profiled members of Clinton's party correctly gain a personality of protagonists. Their grit and willingness to put family life and personal life in the spotlight of the nation deserves respect. Although under the assessment of every single American (and some international) citizen, Presidents allow every skeleton in their closet be examined. A negative aspect of being a world leader. But, as a leader of the world, one must be able to convince his or her people that the skeletons will contribute to a positive outcome. The campaign process is a journey of mixed emotion. However, one thing is certain in every campaign; the positive knowledge of knowing an attempt was made to make the world a better place
Wow, you're a very good writer! Your essay is powerful and interesting all the way through.

The election under scrutiny is the election between...how about the word 'campaign' there? Then you won't have 'election' twice so close together. Or you could change it to; The election under scrutiny is the one between...or contest between

Carville, a hard-nosed kind of man, breaks down in front of on national television thanking is co-workers, family, army, and supporters.

The impact on one's life is so significant when participating in of a movement that changes the world that the finished product is almost unbearable.

Although seemingly contemptuous, all sides in a campaign contribute to making this behavior not only accepted, but promoted.

Home / Writing Feedback / ESSAY ON "THE WAR ROOM" MOVIE ABOUT CLINTON'S '92 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN