Watching or reading? - People can learn more from watching television

AseaDai 4 / 10  
Topic: Do you agree or disagree with the follow statement? People can learn more from watching television than by reading books?

Watching or reading, that is a controversial issue. Some people consider that watching television could help people learn more than reading books could. From their perspective, TV watching is usually associated with entertianment and advertisement. The man who watches TV is nothing but a couch potato. However, in my point of view, television watching is definitely instrumental in facilitating learning than reading books in many ways.

Think about the toddlers who are in kindergarten or in preschool. This children have not learnt too many words yet.. Therefore, it would be difficult for them to read books, especially those without illustration. Instead, watching television enable toddlers to acquire knowledge in a relaxed and interesting way. Take my little brother for example. He is 6 years old now. He likes to watching a cartoon series called "Little Scientist", which teaches many useful scientific knowledge by telling a funny story. No doubt, television show provide the audience with a audio-visual impression.

Not only can television viewing help little children to develop cognitive abilities, it can also help young student in learning any foreign languages. Watching American TV shows or sitcome is count as a popular and effective way for English learners in many countries. Tough preparing my Toefl iBT test these days, I still watch American TV show, such as The Big Bang every night. It provides me with a great atmosphere to learn thoes idiomatic phrases in a real context. Meanwhile, Sheldon will explain some Toefl vocabulary in a very humorous way, which impresses me indeed.

In addtion, by viewing some wholesome television shows, senior citizens get to know many health tips. These television shows often invite some nutritionists to attend the show to introduce different kinds of recipes in different seasons. They also teach how to do some easy massages at home, which are really helpful to preserve their health. It is much convenient for an old man with poor eys-sight to spend one hour to gain useful health tips from television viewing than spanding 10 hours from bopk reading.

All in all, I believe that people can learn more through watching television than by reading books.
Watching or reading, that is a controversial issue.

This sounds too abrupt. The reader gets confused as to why you say it's an controversial issue.

However, in my point of view, television watching is definitely instrumental in facilitating learning than reading books in many ways.

However, in my view, TV is much more powerful and effective in delivering knowledge and information to people than the books.

Think about the toddlers who are in kindergarten or in preschool. This children have not learnt too many words yet.. Therefore, it would be difficult for them to read books, especially those without illustration.

wow... this is a very good example... very smart one too :D
This children have not learnt too many words yet.

These children have not learnt many words yet.

which teaches many useful scientific knowledge by telling a funny story

which gives him useful scientific knowledge through an interesting kiddish story.

television show provide the audience

television shows provide the audience

it can also help young student in learning any foreign languages.

it can also help young students learn foreign languages.

You have very good points for your essay. :)
OP AseaDai 4 / 10  
Thank you for both of you!

Home / Writing Feedback / Watching or reading? - People can learn more from watching television