IELTS: WHETHER TRAVELLING AND WORKING ABROAD ARE THE ONLY REASONS TO LEARN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE OR NOT

Daniel1998 4 / 8  
It is believed that learning a foreign language is beneficial when it comes to travelling or working abroad. Nevertheless, some people claim that learning a foreign language is a good idea for many other reasons.

On the one hand, it is frequently considered by many that being proficient in a widely spoken foreign language adds value to one's CV. Consequently, it significantly increases their chances of getting a well-paying and highly-regarded job in an international company. Bearing in mind that in certain parts of the world the borders have been removed, travelling has never been easier and businesses have been able to expand globally and sign international partnerships. Hence, today, most employers mandatorily require someone who applies for a job in their enterprise to have foreign language skills, whereas others pay their employees foreign language courses so that they acquire a certain level. Also when visiting a foreign country, one who speaks a common worldwide language or the national language of the country can fully take advantage of the experience, because he can communicate with the locals.

On the other hand, no one doubts the fundamental role language has had in human evolution. Language has allowed people to understand one another and develop our planet. A language is an alive historical document which gives clues regarding ancient connections between populations. Furthermore, old words might reflect a way of life, namely the religions, the beliefs, the customs of our ancestors. Studying foreign languages is an interesting area, this explaining why some people have chosen to become grammarians. It is surreal to imagine that a language has so many different words with various pronunciations and spellings.

To conclude, I strongly believe that learning a foreign language is something everyone has to do nowadays no matter what the reasons might be. As much as I agree with the idea that proficiency in foreign languages brings financial satisfaction, I am also aware that without it the existence of most things that make me feel happy would have not been possible anymore. Therefore I cherish foreign languages and I enjoy learning them for other reasons besides travelling or working abroad.

*I am going to take the IELTS in 13th of August. I would be really glad if someone can give an opinion regarding my piece of writing. I would also be thankful if someone could approximate a band for my writing. My aim is to get a band 7 or band 7.5 at least.
payal1982 10 / 19 5  
Hi, Here is my feedback:

Consequently, it significantly increases their chances of getting a well-paying----. well paid and highly-regarded job ...
Bearing ---. Bear in mind that in certain parts of the world ...

As much as I agree with the idea that proficiency in foreign languages brings financial satisfaction, I am also aware that ...----> I find this sentence quite complex, if you can break it, it will be better to understand.

Overall a well written essay.

Hope it helps!
Practice Makes you Perfect!
Thanks!

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: WHETHER TRAVELLING AND WORKING ABROAD ARE THE ONLY REASONS TO LEARN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE OR NOT