Wine Fermentation

G_D087 1 / -  
Wine is a popular alcohol beverage that is made of fermented grape juice. Well ,wine can be made up of fruits, grapes, berries, etc but the most common wine is made from grapes. No matter how wine is made of, there must be a process called fermentation that has to occur. Some say it was the Greeks. Some claim it was the Egyptians. Biblical scriptures declare Noah as being the creator of the first wine. The chemical composition of wine is about 87.7% water, 11% alcohol, 1% acid, and 0.2% tannins. Wine has touched many of history's greatest events. One of the most important events is when Jesus Christ presented it as his blood at the Last Supper. Wine bonds us and allows us to crystallize special moments. Wine has a very complex fermenting process which required sugar and yeast.

In the year 2002, 595 million gallons of wine were sold in the United States. This means more than 7.6 L (gallons) of wine consumed per resident. Many Americans enjoy wine with a meal or have wine at social functions. It has even been reported that a glass of red wine per day can reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke. There are lots of varieties of wines. Some of the major wine types are red wine, white wine and sparkling wine.

Grapes for wine are grown in many areas in the US, as well as other countries such as Indonesia, French, United Kingdom, Australia, etc. Most of the grapes are harvested in the fall. Some vineyards hire workers to pick the grapes by hand and some use mechanical harvesting technique. After the grapes are picked, they are then brought to the winery. This is where the grapes are crushed mechanically. Most winery use machine called "crusher" to crush the grapes. In other countries, people crush the grapes by walking on them. Inside the crusher machine, there is rotating drum. The holes in the drum allow the skin and the juice to pass through, but keep the stems inside the drum. The juice and the skin of the crushed grapes are called must. The must are then transferred to the fermentation tanks, where process fermentation occurs.

Fermentation is a process of breaking down sugars by bacteria and yeast without oxygen. The two things that are required are sugars and yeasts. Yeasts are microbes that produce carbon dioxide and alcohol from sugars. During the fermentation process, wild yeasts are fed into the tank to turn the sugar in the must into alcohol. The wine must ferments in the tank for about seven or fourteen days, depending on the type of wine being produced. Temperature plays a huge role in the fermentation process. If the fermentation temperature is too warm, the yeast may 
ferment fine, but the flavor of the wine will not be good. During this time, the winemaker check the fermenting must and measures the acid level using an instrument called hydrometer. Once the fermentation process is completed, the fermented must are stored in either stainless steel storage tanks or oak barrels for aging. This aging process makes oxygen to enter and water & alcohol to escape. Aging lasts for several months to several years, depending on the type of wine produced. After the wine has aged, it is them Filtered and then bottled. Bottled wine stored for long periods in a dark, moderately cool place to prevent spoilage

Fermented wine has its own benefits and limitations. One of the benefits on fermenting wine is that wine can prevent many health issues such as heart attack, stroke, cancer and many more. Well, not really prevent but lowers the risk of those diseases. European researchers suggest that moderate daily intake of red wine can lowers the risk of many diseases. Other than that, fermentation process on wine creates different kind of wine such as red wine, white wine, sparkling wine and many more. People have variety of choices to pick which wine they want. Different wine produce different taste. We could use different wine for special occasions. Aside from the benefits, there are also limitations to the fermentation of wine. One of the limitations is that too much wine can lead to negative health effects in many cases. It can increase breast cancer risk and migraines. Other than that, wine fermentation takes a very long time. It need months or even years for the chemical and microbes to work and react with each other. This fermentation process takes a long time, which makes it inexpensive.

Wine has positive and negative influences on the economy. One of the positive effects is that the wineries can make a big profit. They often imported their wine to other countries and that has a great affect on the price of the wine. The negative effect is when the wineries don't produce good quality of wine; they couldn't sell it with high price. They have to be extra careful with the mixture of the wine they're making.

Wine has a very huge effect on society. Well it has a positives and negatives effect. The positive effect is that wine can improve relationship with each other. Some people give wine as a present or a gift, which can improve their relationship. Most people drink wine to have a good time. There are good reasons to drink, such as to celebrate and socialize with people. Wine also has negative side on society. It contains alcohol. Some people get addicted with alcohol and it can create conflict and violence in a society. For example, it has a big impact in workplace with absences, work accidents and lower performance, which can lead to unemployment.

I think fermentation is a good and healthy process. It is very useful for food production. The benefits are much bigger than the disadvantages. Fermentation improved the texture of food. It also makes food products more interesting by adding the flavor through the conversion of sugars into acids. Some examples of fermented foods are yogurt, beer, coffee, bread, soy sauce, kimchi and many more. Fermented products often contain higher level of vitamins and proteins. The only thing that we need to do is to find a way to speed up the fermenting process to save time and money.

In conclusion, fermentation is an interesting and complex process that add flavor to foods. I've learnt so much from this science essay. I personally think that we should use fermentation for food production. It is still important on earth today, and is used by people in many different ways.
shalini singh 14 / 23  
Wine has a very complex fermenting process which required sugar and yeast as an enzyme to accelerate the process .

Most of the grapes are harvested in the fall of the season .

... the yeast may 
ferment quicklyfine , but the flavor of the wine will not be good.

This fermentation process takes a long time, which is why which makes it isexpensive.

The positive effect is that wine can improve relationship with each other. (Try changing this statment it is ambiguous.)
Okay, the good news is that this essay is obviously very well researched and informative. However, it seems to have no organization at all! The first paragraphs seem like lists of random sentences that are unrelated. You tell what wine is, how it is made, how fermentation works, etc... but you should do this with the use of TOPIC SENTENCES. One paragraph = one idea.

If you write about all kinds of different ideas in each paragraph, the essay has no organization. I think you can do a great job of revising this essay so that every paragraph starts with a topic sentence that tells the main idea of the paragraph.

Start a new paragraph whenever you are going to give a new topic sentence, and then make sure to give some examples and explanation for each topic sentence.

You already have great, great material, but now I think you should package it up into a series of distinct paragraphs -- and ach paragraph must express a distinct idea.

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / Wine Fermentation