IELTS wirting task2 subjects for university students to study

nehs311014 2 / 3  
Some people think that all university students should study whatever they like. Others believe that they should only be allowed to study subjects that will be useful in the future, such as those related to science and technology.

decision about curriculum in universities

Answer:
People's view differing in terms of whether university students should be given the decisions to choose the subjects they want to study. In my opinion, I partly agree with this statement.

On the one hand, it cannot be denied that there are some benefits to let students decide their own study courses. The main reason is that in the modern era, new developments are throughout integration of knowledge from different fields. Without confining students to study in the particular courses, they are able to learn knowledge in wide range of areas and possibly apply in their works in the future. Furthermore, most university students are in their young age, so they need chances to try different fields. Making students to only learn the subjects which seemingly useful in the future not only restricts the possibility to explore their talents but also ignore the fact that they might not be suitable or not interested in studying those courses.

On the other hand, some people argue that university students should study some particular subjects which are arranged rather than base on their interests. It is true that being skilled in a specific field will be more practical than choosing courses without any study plan. After all, it may be risk if students learn courses in various areas and end up having no talents. Moreover, in this way university will be able to ensure their students learn some basic and useful subjects which might at least help them to get a better jobs after they graduated.

In conclusion, I believe it will be more appropriate for university students to study some particular subjects as well as the optional subjects they are interested in.

(280 words)
TriceLiu 11 / 25  
1. In the first sentence of your opening paragraph, you said you agree with this statement. But in the previous sentence you presented people's two different opinions ("whether+A" means "A or not"), which is not a statement. Better to point out which opinion you agree with, so that you directly respond to the prompt.

2. Without confining students to studying in ...
This sentence is grammatically incorrect, because the subject of participle clauses is not the same as the subject of its main sentence. This is a common mistake that has been mentioned in many English writing guides. Who "confines students to studying in particular courses"? Maybe teachers, maybe school authorities, but not the "they" in your main sentence.

A revision could be:
Not confined to studying in particular courses, students are able to learn knowledge...
In this revision, subject of the participle clause is in accordance with that of the main sentence.

3. On understanding the prompt. I think the prompt is more about whether 1) students should only study "useful" subjects like science and technology, or 2) they should be allowed to study "not-so-useful" ones like art and humanity, if students are interested. Instead, you discussed whether 1) students should be arranged courses or 2) they should choose courses according to interest and "learn courses in various areas". "Choosing courses based on interest" is on-topic, but "learning courses in various areas"(para. 2) and "studying arranged courses"(para. 3) can be irrelevant.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS wirting task2 subjects for university students to study