Women are more prone to developing the autoimmune disease hypothyroidism than men are.

dentalluisa 1 / -  

English 102

Draft, Resources, and Assignments

November 1, 2022

Luisa
Ryan Jones
22642
11.01.2022

Research has shown that women are more likely to develop issues with their thyroid than men are. There can be various reason for why women are more susceptible to hypothyroidism however, but the exact reason is still unclear. This issue affects so many women's lives (some cases worse than others) and there should be more research being done to prevent and resolve hypothyroidism.

One significant factor why women can be more prone to develop hypothyroidism is because of pregnancy. During pregnancy, the woman's body is put through a significant number of changes, physically and appearance wise but internally as well. According to Narayana Health, one of these changes are that "Women experience a high flux of hormones during pregnancy and again, at menopause." (thyroid.org, p.2)

Another reason hypothyroidism is more prevalent in pregnant women is because the immune system is working overtime and can mistakenly start attacking the thyroid. This causes the thyroid gland to not produce the correct number of hormones the body needs. Women are put through so many hormonal changes during pregnancy, adding a disease like hypothyroidism can be dangerous to not only the mother but to the baby as well. (thyoid.org, p2)

When it comes to hypothyroidism, there are multiple symptoms to look for that can help with an early diagnosis. Educating yourself of these symptoms can help you bring awareness to others who may be suffering unknowingly from hypothyroidism. Hopkins Medicine states that "symptoms are different for each person. They are usually hard to notice and start slowly. These symptoms can also be mistaken for symptoms of depression." The symptoms can include fatigue, weight gain, dry hair, and skin, irregular menstrual cycle, etc.

The good news is that hypothyroidism is treatable and can easily be diagnosed. With a blood test the doctor can tell you if you have hypothyroidism and then go on to treat the autoimmune disease. According to the NHS the blood test will measure the level of the T3 and T4. "Low levels of thyroid-producing hormones, such as triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4), can change the way the body processes fat." It is important that this be treated because it can cause more long-term effects such as heart disease. (NHS, p.3)

It is important to know that hypothyroidism is when your thyroid gland is underactive. Hypothyroidism is not curable but can be treated with medication. The medication that is usually used to treat hypothyroidism is called levothyroxine and is taken once daily for the rest of your life. This medication will help your thyroid function normally, there for alleviating your symptoms giving you a better quality of life. (Dr.Brighten)

Works Cited

Health, Narayana. "The Thyroid Gland: Let's Get to Know It." Narayana Health Care

"Hypothyroidism in Pregnancy." American Thyroid Association

"Hypothyroidism (Underactive Thyroid)." Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research
The magic phrase in this essay title is "than men". The existence of this phrase means that the research should follow a comparison of signs, symptoms, and effects between the two genders. Comparing the similarities and differences that lead to women being more prone to developing hypothyrodism than men. Presented information cannot focus on the effects upon women alone because that creates an imbalanced discussion (owing to the research paper title).

A more appropriate format would probably be to open with the effects of the illness among men. Giving a semi indepth discussion of the causes and effects of the illness leading into the consideration of how the women are affected by the same illness. As the focus changes to solely the effects upon women, insertions of further studies regarding men in comparison with the women dealing with the illness can be made. The same can be said for the comparison of available and possibly different treatments available for men and women. Is there a common treatment that is highly effective for both genders? Such a format will create a far more balanced and information considerate discussion for the presentation.

Home / Writing Feedback / Women are more prone to developing the autoimmune disease hypothyroidism than men are.