Work in projects alone, with classmates or with a tutor? (TOEFL Independent Writing)

Sunrise011 7 / 14 7  
* If you had to work on a project for school would you rather:

a) work alone, b) work with classmates or c) work with a tutor.

We all have, at some time of our lives, had to make the choice of choosing how to work on a project. And particularly when it comes to school projects, students choose to work alone, in groups, or merely with the guidance of an experienced tutor. Personally, I would rather work with a group of classmates than alone or with a tutor for reasons related to the inefficiency of solo as well as supervised work.

First of all, solo work can be boring and, frankly, one-sided, colorless and unimaginative in many ways. In fact, when we choose to isolate from people in projects, we automatically isolate ourselves from different perspectives, diverse experiences and new ideas. Moreover, encapsulating one's thinking can only lead to making it vulnerable and outdated as not only it is separated from the influence of other personalities, it is threatened with deterioration and perishing. Indeed, ideas should always be revised and enhanced.

Furthermore, working with a tutor is, by all means, a threat to the improvisation and imagination of the young mind. Initially, we can all agree with the fact that a progressive and innovative project can only be achieved by having a horizontal relationship between the parties involved in its development. However, engaging a tutor in the work of a "student" can only be regarded as breaking the aforementioned rule. Thus, as crucial a tutor can be to accelerating and crafting any school work, it is also important to note that the importance of school projects lie in the effort put in not just the yield. If anything tutors can make projects effortless, hence, meaningless.

Lastly, I would choose to work with a group of my classmates in a school project for the rich, diverse and sometimes unique perspectives they can all bring. And as awkward and messy group work can be, the discussions that students have, within or outside of the main ideas of the topic at hand, can be beneficial, awarding them a short-term success in the project and a long-term success in maturing and strengthening friendships. As a matter of fact, as socializing opportunities become rarer than ever for students, school projects can provide a time to catch up and converse within a homogeneous unit.

Overall, school projects can be the perfect time to shape new perspectives on different topics, away from the usual, somewhat boring, homework routine. Thus, it is an opportunity to both learn and mature, and socialize. For that reason, regardless of the project, I would always choose to do it within a group of my cohort.

* Please give it a grade out of 15.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@Sunrise011
Hello! Like the other paragraph, I would also grant this one an 8 out of 15.

You struggle when it comes to placement of approrpriate punctuation marks. This makes it somehow harder to decipher portions of the writing that should have been easy to digest. What I recommend is that you focus more on actualizing the rules of grammar and writing instead of focusing too much on extending your arguments without a care for these types of write-ups. Doing this will definitely help you become more creative when it comes to the overall transition without risking being misunderstood by your readers.

While I appreciate that you took time to explain everything one by one (the three concepts), you were still lacking in the comparative department - which, I believe, is the most important part of this portion because this is what's actually being asked from you in the prompt. Try to stick with this comparative viewpoint than merely describing everything.

Home / Writing Feedback / Work in projects alone, with classmates or with a tutor? (TOEFL Independent Writing)