Working for a large company - training, work exposure & networking opportunities

jag 5 / 9  
QUESTION; Some people prefer to work for a large company. Others prefer to work for a small company. Which would you prefer? Use specific reasons and details to support your choice.

My preference is to work for a large company. I believe that a large organization has more to offer to its employees in terms of opportunities, career advancement, job security and recognition in contrast to a small company.

First and foremost, a large organization offers more opportunities to its employees such as training, work exposure and networking opportunities. Suppose you work for a multinational company which has branches world over. Such company may offer you opportunities such as foreign training or overseas work experience. Also if you work for a large company then you would receive a better exposure in contrast to the exposure in a small company. For example, HR department of a large organization has many different units handling different subjects. Therefore, a person would receive a vast exposure and many networking opportunities by working for HR division of a large company. In contrast, many small companies have limited HR activities and manage their HR functions with handful of people who would be deprived of vast exposure and networking opportunities.

Secondly, in a large organization, the chances are more for one to progress in career since their growth rate is higher rate than a small company. For example, when a large company opens hundred branches per year, a small company may not open a single branch within that year. Therefore, its employees would be stagnated in the same position while the employees of the large company can progress in career with frequently generated vacancies.

Thirdly, the job security is higher in a large organization compared to a small company. When the organization is large, they are less volatile to many socio economic turbulences. However, a small company may find it difficult to survive in such environments. For example, hotel industry in my country was very badly affected by the country's civil war until last year. All the small scale hotels were closed down and the employees lost their jobs. However, the big hotels managed to survive because these companies were either diversified companies or multinationals with foreign operations. Therefore they did not retrench their staff and instead this staff was given opportunities to work in different divisions.

Finally, career wise, one would have a better recognition if he or she works for a large company. This is too a very important aspect when a person thinks about changing the current employment. Another company would always prefer to recruit a person who has work experience of a larger organization than a small company. My personal experience is that my tenure at Bank of Ceylon, which is the second largest bank in Sri Lanka, has been the main reason why I was able to be selected out of a stiff competition to work for a reputed foreign bank.

Hence, considering the above reasons I conclude that working for a large organization would be always better than working for a small company.
...receive better exposure in contrast to the exposure in a small company.

When the organization is large, they are less volatile and less susceptible to to socioeconomic turbulence.----very good sentence! I just changed it a little.

Finally, career wise, one would more recognition if he or she works for a large company. This, too, is too a very...

You write very well! Your paragraphs have good structure, with topic sentences and examples. I think this is great.

Home / Writing Feedback / Working for a large company - training, work exposure & networking opportunities