Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

IELTS 2 - Working and traveling abroad as the main factors to learn an different language?

catherine97 1 / -  

Importance of Language

Some people say that the only reason for learning a foreign language is in order to travel to or work in a foreign country. Others say that these are not the only reasons why someone should learn a foreign language.

Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

Language impacts our daily lives and it helps to express feelings. Some people believe that traveling and working in foreign countries is the only reason to learn other languages. However, others disagree with that. In my opinion, I think there are more reasons than that, for example, knowing other cultures communicating for global business.

It is no doubt that knowing a foreign language will benefit traveling and working in that country. Yet learning about different cultures is also important. It is too arrogant to expect all mankind think in the same way, and it brings a lot of misunderstandings. Having a desire and willingness to adapt new cultures is necessary, and it will be easier to learn new cultures by having the ability to communicate with foreigners. By learning a new language, people also get to enjoy the literature and music in that language, and it all helps to have better knowledge of various cultures.

Another advantage of learning a foreign language is that it allows us to work better in global business community. Communicating directly with clients and companies in their native tongue is one of the first steps to founding a stable international business relationship. With the ability to do this, multilingual people are already ahead of other peers in the competition of higher position in job, and it also brings higher salary and status. Besides, they can work as translators in company, for example, when their boss is having meeting with oversea managers or customers.

In conclusion, learning a foreign language will not only bring us benefits in working and traveling in foreign countries, but also knowing more about cultures and being successful in international business.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS 2 - Working and traveling abroad as the main factors to learn an different language?