Write about a belief you have and the pros and cons of it (online writing essay)

plugging_along 2 / 5  
The instructions were to write about a belief you have and the pros and cons of it. It is due 12 midnight Sunday, could someone please read this and see if its week or sounds awkward. Thanks: Plugging_along

I believe that an online class is just as rewarding as any other class, and one can gain just as much knowledge by taking one. Once students are familiar with online classes and what is required, they are awesome. Some will surely disagree with this statement, as online learning is a struggle for some students. I would like to examine the benefits and drawbacks of online classes versus the traditional classroom. Online classes; are they right for you?

My first semester at Montcalm Community College, I really had no idea what an online class entailed. When I registered for classes, I had signed up for three online courses, Business Law, International Business and Keyboarding. After the first week, I knew that something had to change. I was not familiar with blackboard, or even school for that matter. I was very intimidated by all of these online classes. It was time for me to see the counselors and make some changes.

After rearranging my schedule so I had more face to face instructors, things started to go a little smoother. Online classes can be very intimidating for a first year college student. Many people think that if it's an online class, that it will be much easier and less time consuming. That is just not the case, an online class requires just as much of your time, if not more, than a traditional class does. Although I am now comfortable with this type of structure, it still can be very hectic, as I found out when taking two online classes last summer. I worked very hard to meet all the deadlines. I received A's in both classes, but I worked very hard and put in an incredible amount of hours to achieve those grades.

One major difference and a benefit of online learning, is that when taking an online class, it is up to the student to make time in their schedule, so they can meet the deadlines and the objectives for that class. Just as a student has a certain scheduled time that they attend their regular class, they must make the time for an online class as well. Many people are busy raising a family or work full time, life can be a handful. With choosing an online class, one of the benefits is that students can do their work when it fits their schedule. Whether one does their work in the middle of the night, or spare time they have, this enables them to get the education they're looking for. One still can ask questions, and get answers from an online instructor. Sometimes, they even get a quicker response, as they don't have to wait until the next class period to ask. This is also a benefit for taking an online course. There are disadvantages for certain people though, not everyone is cut out for online learning.

If you are a person that puts things off until the last minute, online classes are probably not right for you. Never, should students procrastinate with an assignment, as it may cost them dearly, by not getting the grade that they are capable of. The best way to avoid this is to discipline yourself to a certain amount of time that you will devote to your online class and stick with it. Another drawback, for taking online classes would be if you are a first year student. I believe that one should get used to the college curriculum before tackling an online class. If you are not familiar with Blackboard and have not had the basic computer classes, online learning can be a disadvantage for you. This was a major stumbling block for me, in my first year of college.

As one can see, there are two sides to taking an online class. The most important thing is to allow yourself ample time to do all of your assignments in a timely manner. Don't put off something for tomorrow, which could be done today. Sticking with your schedule, you will be farther ahead, and happy you have done it. If you are self motivated, and can follow instructions well after reading them, online classes may be just the ticket for you. If you're the type of learner that needs things explained in great detail, with words, then the traditional classes would probably work best for you. Whichever path you choose, study hard, do your best and gain all the knowledge you can. Remember, knowledge is something that can never be taken away from you; it's yours for life!
You need to draw a sharper distinction between online and regular classes. At the moment, a lot of your cons apply to regular classes as well. Where you do make a distinction, it tends to be vague and ill-defined:

an online class requires just as much of your time, if not more, than a traditional class does.

Explain why. How exactly does an online class end up taking more time than a regular one?

Never, should students procrastinate with an assignment, as it may cost them dearly, by not getting the grade that they are capable of.

How is this different from regular classes?

If you are not familiar with Blackboard and have not had the basic computer classes, online learning can be a disadvantage for you.

You mentioned "blackboard" before. As far as I know, blackboards are what you find in regular classrooms, not online ones. Perhaps you should explain this as an online concept, for your readers' benefit.

You might want to consider looking at other pros and cons of online learning, those that have been raised by researchers studying online classes professionally. Do a bit of research, even just using Google, and you will be able to add a lot more depth to your essay.
michaelfrye1970 9 / 21  
You repeat yourself here "I worked very hard to meet all the deadlines. I received A's in both classes, but I worked very hard and put in an incredible amount of hours to achieve those grades."

Be concise about what the advantages and disadvantages are and then elaborate on them separately, it would help make this essay be more cohesive.
Better yet, rewrite the essay so that you are relying less on your own personal experience of online learning. It's okay to allow that experience to inform your belief, but the essay is supposed to be about the belief, not about your experiences, and it can be difficult to separate the two if you are too close to the topic.
OP plugging_along 2 / 5  
Thanks guys, I am working on revisions now!

Home / Writing Feedback / Write about a belief you have and the pros and cons of it (online writing essay)