How to write an descriptive report on designing an recipe for an low income family

jas7mine 1 / -  
Please could you review some of the report/essay that I have started to do on designing a tailored recipe for an low income family at low cost and explain what is involved. Please make your corrections and helpful suggestions to improve.

In this report, it will examine the design of a recipe that fits the nutritional requirements of a low income family. It will explore the cost and dietary needs of the particular family ensure that the recipe is affordable and are nutritious for everyone.

Firstly, a description of the family. This is a family of three and married with a young female adult. This family comprises of female aged 50 years old with thyroid problems works full-time in an office 8 hours a week. The female suffers from high blood pressure since the demand of their work can be stressful at times. 50 year old female visits the hospital once a year for check up appointments regarding their thyroid problem and is managed by medication Health professionals have advised the 50 year old female to reduce the stress levels and implement exercise into the schedule for improving the activity of thyroxine in the body. Another family member is male aged 59 years old who is physically active runs twice a week. They do not suffer from any allergies and occasionally get dehydrated after running a few miles. Lastly, a female aged 24 years old who works part-time although their job is very active as this family member does not exercise that much but only gets in 30mins each day. The family comes from a Caribbean background where they are custom to high carbohydrates diet for example, boiled green banana, fried fish, fried plaintain and eat little fruits and vegetables. The family have a strict preference in not eating pork but can eat other meats such as chicken. This report will focus on the 50 year old female with thyroid problem who requires low salt in their diet and 24 years old female who requires carbohydrates, proteins and other vitamins to help her to gain weight and be more active during the day.

The families' income are £500 per week which are used to pay the household bills, shopping and family trips around UK. The family have been through education although the funds have limited, 50 year old female and 59 year old male was able to get funding from the government to pay for their education. The family believe that education is important to improve their situation but are concern about their diet as they are looking to change the Caribbean diet to a healthier option. Researchers (Who) recommend that changing your lifestyle can lead to a longer healthier life. Low Diet and Income Survey shows that more people are dying from cancer and cardiovascular diseases due to consuming the western diet on a daily basis. The life expectancy has decreased from ? to ? which encourages people to go eat junk food that can go in a microwave rather than taking healthier option in making pre-cooked food which is more expensive living the healthier way.

The family decided that they want to change their eating habits to a healthier option but based on their income, education they are not able to afford the alternative option. It is possible to eat a healthier meal on a cheap budget. The family have considered eating a heathier diet in the past but was not able to afford the cost of healthy foods for example, fruits and vegetables they would go to the local market stall for meat as it was cheaper. The family have intended to look at the options of eating a balanced diet. Families from the low income population in areas of London tend to use larger supermarkets than the local markets because they have a variety of food choice and looking for an inexpensive option at larger supermarket. "Low Diet and Income Survey, "The average family would spend on shopping cost £28 per week" which is not a lot of feed the size of your family and maintain a health balanced diet.

In terms of the family, the female 50 year old with thyroid problems can lead to high blood pressure as the body can be stressed working full-time and meeting deadlines. The female would need to limit their salt intake and would help to reduce the high blood pressure. People of Black African and South Asian descent are sensitive to effects of too much salt and are at higher risk of health conditions such as coronary heart disease (Actiononsalt.org). According to GDA (2005), The daily amount salt for adults is 6g per day which is 1 level teaspoon that can change depending on their age and activity level. Male 59 years old who is physically active would require to incorporate proteins and carbohydrates into their diet which will help in strengthen the bones and maintain energy. The amount of protein and carbohydrate will depend on the activity levels... Female 24 years old would require more protein, carbohydrates and vitamins which can be obtained from green vegetables and meat. The design of the recipe will incorporate the female 50 years old with thyroid problems which require low salt and the female 24 years old who require carbohydrates and proteins. Due to the religion preference, turkey was the main meat in an recipe as they wanted to explore other meats but not chicken.

The recipe will be nutritious and affordable to meet the nutritional requirements of the family of three adults which will take consideration of the female with thyroid problems so it could contain low salt foods and carbohydrates, proteins and vitamins. The family tend to use salt and flavours to the Caribbean tradition where the food was spicy and had rich flavours. The foods will change to meet the income of the family and able to afford the recipe at low cost. The family want to make changes to a healthier balanced diet where they will get the nutrients that they need to reduce the ailments that they have suffered with over the years. The original recipe was taken from a recipe cookbook titled "Root vegetable curry"
Amanda, let us first address the formatting problems of your essay. When you introduce the family, devote one paragraph per family member in the description. The reason you have to divide the description is because each family member has a specific health consideration. In order for the reader to properly assess / understand that health concerns of the person. By separating the descriptions, you will allow the reader to connect the specific illness with the specific family member. When you discuss the members in this single paragraph format, the tendency will be to overwhelm the reader with information, causing him to forget what it is you are trying to say.

Try to avoid redundancies in your essay. By using the paragraph per family member format, you will only need to mention the age of the person once, at the beginning of the paragraph. That way the reader manages to focus solely on the issue of importance. The same advice applies to the presentation of the food requirements. Connect the diet specifically and separately per person. That will allow for a clarification of the meal requirements of each person and why the meal requirements are set up that way.

To recap the format of your essay per paragraph should be:
1. Family member description
2. Health concerns
3. Meal plan

Using this format, the essay gains a sense of clarity, continuity, and understanding on the part of the reader. You are also given more room to discuss the important aspects of the essay as a separate paragraph as well.

Home / Writing Feedback / How to write an descriptive report on designing an recipe for an low income family