An essay about how to write a good paragraph

huyennd 2 / 1  
Every college student has to write many essays during their college years. However, writing essay seems to be a tough task to many students. In order to overcome the hardship of writing, in my opinion, it is really important to know how to write a good paragraph first, because an essay is a collection of paragraphs. There are three elements of a paragraph which are topic sentence, supporting paragraph, and concluding sentence. Mastering each of them will lead to a well-written paragraph.

First, topic sentence is the one that gives readers what a paragraph is about. Topic sentences is always the first sentence of the paragraph which includes a main subject and a supporting idea. Main subject is what the writer tries to make clear to the reader by giving reasons, explaining, and giving examples, while supporting idea gives the reader a specific area of the main subject which the writer focuses on. For example, in the sentence "Internet gives valuable education opportunities to kids in poor countries", the main subject is Internet, but Internet is huge topic which can range from history of Internet to threats to individual privacy, so the writer only choose a specific area of the topic for his writing which is education for kids in poor countries. Moreover, a good topic sentence should be specific, but not too specific because there is no more to write about if the topic sentence is too specific. In addition, a good topic sentence should not be a well-known fact. For instance, "Asians have black or dark brown hair", almost everyone knows the fact; therefore, they are not interested in it, and there is no more to discuss about the topic.In sum, a topic sentence gives readers the whole idea of the paragraph.

Second, supporting paragraphs give reasons, explain, describe, or give examples for the topic sentence. The supporting paragraph answers the question of what, why, when, where, how about the topic of the paragraph. For example, for the above topic sentence of "Internet gives valuable education to kids in poor countries", supporting sentences can be "Many parents in poor countries can not afford to gives their kids education at school, but Internet gives them very easy access to education" which gives reasons to the topic sentence, or "For example, over the past 5 years, many kids in rural Vietnam areas know how to write thanks to a literacy education website" which give an example for the topic sentence. A good supporting sentence is the one which make the topic clear so that the readers can have better understanding of the topic. Indeed, supporting sentences are the ones which make the topic sentence clear by giving reasons, explaining, giving examples, or describing.

Third, concluding sentence gives the reader a sign that the paragraph ends and restates the topic sentence. Concluding sentence is always the last sentence of a paragraph which tell the reader what the paragraph is about. Concluding sentence also includes a summary of all ideas discussed in the paragraph or the writer's opinion, or prediction. For example, for the above topic sentence of "Internet gives valuable education opportunities to kids in poor countries", the concluding sentence can be "Internet creates for the kids in poor countries precious education opportunities" which restates the topic sentence. Furthermore, some transitions can be used as a sign for the concluding sentence including: indeed, in sum, in conclusion, clearly, certainly, hence, thus, as a result, and so on.

In conclusion, mastering each element of a paragraph which are topic sentence, supporting sentences, and concluding sentence can lead to a well-written paragraph.
payal1982 10 / 19 5  
Here is my feedback:

In order to overcome the hardship of writing, in my opinion, it is really important to know ...----> this sentence is too complex, you can break it down to short sentences for better understanding....In my opinion, it is really important to know how to write a good paragraph first, because an essay is a collection of paragraphs. This technique will help in writing

Similarly this sentence is long and complex too...For example, in the sentence "Internet gives valuable education opportunities to kids in poor countries", the main subject is Internet, but Internet is huge topic which can range from history of Internet to threats to individual privacy, so the writer only choose a specific area of the topic for his writing which is education for kids in poor countries.

Moreover, a good topic sentence should be specific, but not too specific because there is no more to write about if the topic sentence is too specific----> the word is repeating a number of times here

Hope this helps!

Practice makes you perfect!
Hi Huyen, below are my thoughts on your essay;

First of all, it is indeed a taxing task to write essays, specially for those students that are not well versed or simply is hard at understanding the English language, this is one of those moments in a students life where they pause for a minute and think, "how would I write something that I don't understand in the first place?", then they have to endure those frustrating minutes of thinking added to that is the pressure when you see some of your classmates that are ready to submit their work. This is exactly what I observed when I was studying, I remember, one particular task is this prompt, "what will you become, 10years from now?", something like this, this left a very silent room that made most of us think, "yeah, what would we become in a few years?", well, I cannot be sure what I wrote in this prompt, however, I can assure you that it was not that easy.

Now, going back to your essay, what I like about your essay is the fact that, it is very realistic, it happens or had happened to us at some point in our life and this is what makes the essay worth reading and reviewing. However, on your conclusion part, you don't have to tag this as the third reason as this is your conclusion, you can include the third reason in the second paragraph and then create the next paragraph as your last.

I hope the insights are helpful.

Home / Writing Feedback / An essay about how to write a good paragraph