WWAC radio station... - GRE Argument

RossG 1 / 2  
It would be great if anyone can help:)

The following appeared in a memorandum from the manager of WWAC radio station. "To reverse a decline in listener numbers, our owners have decided that WWAC must change from its current rock-music format. The decline has occurred despite population growth in our listening area, but that growth has resulted mainly from people moving here after their retirement. We must make listeners of these new residents. We could switch to a music format tailored to their tastes, but a continuing decline in local sales of recorded music suggests limited interest in music. Instead we should change to a news and talk format, a form of radio that is increasingly popular in our area."

Answer:

The argument suggests the equivocal nature of the manager of WWAC radio station. It can be inferred from the argument that the management is taking decisions hastily without much survey or knowledge about their listeners. It can be clearly seen from the lines "We could switch to a music format tailored to their tastes, but a continuing decline in local sales of recorded music suggest limited interest in music. Instead we should change to a news and talk format", it can be clearly seen that the management is not sure about what their current listeners like. There is clearly no proof in the argument about what their current listeners like to listen.

Secondly, how can one conclude that because of the decline in the sales of the local record music suggest that limited interest of people in music? It is possible that people might not be buying local recorded music because the music quality is not good or there might be a case that the economy is not good and people might not prefer to spend money on recorded music. How can the radio station switch to a music forma inclined to the taste of the people when they are not sure what people like to listen to? There is no proof of a survey being conducted which tells what people of the area like to listen to.

Thirdly, there is a claim which says "the decline has occurred despite the population growth in the listening area". It might seem plausible at first that there is a decline in the number of listeners to a radio station in spite of an increase in the population in the area, but it is false. How can we connect the increase in the population in the area with the number of users who listen to a radio station? Further, there is no proof that the increasing population likes to listen to radio or not.

It might seem that there is a connection between the decrease in the number of rock-music and when argument suggests that "the growth has resulted mainly from people moving here after their retirement" ie. increase in the population of the elderly people but, what the argument fails is that it never tells whether the increasing population likes rock music or not? There is no proof in the argument that the eldery people don't like rock music.

In summation, the argument seems reasonable in some areas, but it doesn't provide us with the solid proof which makes it less acceptable. The argument is suggest that the manager is obscure about his current listeners tastes and is taking decisions in wrong direction.
Your vocabulary is not at the professional level that the GRE exam requires. Your approach is too simple. Almost IELTS or TOEFL level rather than GRE. Your presentation is not graduate level. You need to be using more advanced English vocabulary in the presentation. Your analysis should also be of a greater level than what you have here. You come across more as a college level test taker than a graduate record exam taker. The keyword here being "graduate". If you want to get a higher score, your analytical abilities need to reflect a higher sense of logic and information consideration. Your discussion needs to be deeper. The consideration you have for the reasons should not make claims. that are also unfounded ( but this is false). Just as you question the claims of the manager, so can your claims be questioned. No matter of fact claims should be made unless there is evidence to back it up coming from the original source. Avoid the use of rhetorical questions in your essay. These questions have no place in an analytical piece that already provides you with all the information you need for the discussion. The questions you posed should instead be made in the form of a statement that refutes a claim made in the original.
OP RossG 1 / 2  

Thank you for reviewing this.

Home / Writing Feedback / WWAC radio station... - GRE Argument