Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

A creative five page essay using "logos" inKing's Letter from Burmingham Jail

lexi0127 1 / -  
Any suggestions on how to better word what I have written so far?

"Whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive (of these ends), it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness" (CITE). Thomas Jefferson wrote this in the Declaration of Independence which was signed on July 4, 1776. Yet in April of 1963 civil rights leader, Martin Luther King Jr. was incarcerated (for or while) pursing equal rights for all American citizens. On April 16, 1963 King wrote "Letter from Birmingham Jail". A letter in response to his fellow Clergymen. King's Letter was also written to change society's perspective of the horrors of racism and to understand the justification behind his actions. King's Letter provides a view into the window of segregation. Martin Luther King Jr. use of the rhetorical appeal Logos is (__) through him being referred to as civilly disobedient, an extremist, and "unwise and untimely."

King begins his letter by addressing the Clergymen's claims of being "unwise and untimely" (570). The Clergymen had previously released a statement (saying---) King justifies the behavior by providing incidents that occurred where the "Negro community" (571) was constantly being abused by society, and how they were tired of hearing the word "Wait!" (568). King mentions several occasions where society continuously provided empty promises. One incident occurred in the previous year during September, when merchants promised to remove "their stores' humiliating racial signs" (571). Only a year later nothing had been done. Furthermore the Clergymen wanted King's campaigns to be "well-timed" (568). As stated, justice too long delayed is justice denied" (569). Which can be understand, any persons being told repetitively to wait, isn't going to expect results. People are going to react naturally, not wise nor timely.

----civil disobedience-----

King states what he is doing is not to encourage constant law breaking, but to encourage free will to use laws. He presents his audience with historical events that took place and show witness of "civil disobedience" (570). He explains how "ordinance is unjust when it is used to maintain segregation and to deny citizens the First Amendment privileges of peaceful assembly and protest"(570). How can anyone be denied the rights their country has provided them. It is only right to allow people the freedom they deserve. King cites events like the Boston Tea Party, Socrates, and even a citation from the bible

King is called out by member of society saying that he was an extremist. King shows the audience how being extreme is important in making a positive difference. For "Jesus Christ was an extremist...Perhaps the South, the nation, and the world are in dear need of creative extremists"

King uses of the rhetoric logos in his Letter to draw a strong, vivid picture of justification for his arguments.
This is a strange use of the word saying in parentheses:
The clergymen had previously released a statement (saying---) King justifies the behavior by providing incidents...------- also, don't capitalize "clergymen."

People are going to react naturally, not wise nor timely.--- I like this idea, but you have to fix the sentence:
People are going to react naturally, not according to some person's idea of what is wise or what is timely.

King cites events like the Boston Tea Party, Socrates (Socrates was not an event. What event are you talking about...) the controversial teaching of Socrates, and even some incidents from the Gospel. (a citation from the bible is not an event)

King is called out by member of society (who said it? It is not okay to say "member of society," to vague) saying that he was an extremist.

:-) This is a great essay on a great topic. You are doing well with it!

Home / Book Reports / A creative five page essay using "logos" inKing's Letter from Burmingham Jail