Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 4

Critical Lens Essay of the books Of Mice and Men and A View From the Bridge / Religious Involvement

taylor430 1 / -  
"The greatest grief's are those we cause ourselves," is a quote said by Sophocles. This quote is a perfect fit for the play, A View From the Bridge, by Arthur Miller, and the novel, Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck. The quote simply states that the bad things that happen in our lives are brought onto us only by the actions we take. We are all our worst enemy. We are all responsible for our own life, our own actions. When something goes wrong or gets out of hand it's the person's responsibility to either fix or go along with the problem. People bring problems onto themselves. Someone can readily agree with this quote because people have problems if they bring the problem to themselves. No one just has grief's, they've done something in life to have grief's.

Protagonists George and Lennie
This seems to me that you are just repeating yourself, making the same point over and over. Can you think of anything else to say about it? Actually, the reason you are repeating the same idea in every sentence it probably that you have not really come up with the theme of the essay yet. Pull out some quotes and citations, and based on those you can sharpen this message to the reader. You can express the idea of bringing problems to ourselves in a way that will make people gain a new insight about it.

Wait until after you write some paragraphs with citations and quotes, and then revise the 2nd half of the intro paragraph to fit the theme of the essay.

:-)
Noahkix - / 1  
Of Mice and Men Research Paper- Religious Involvement in the text

I am supposed to write a research paper on Of Mice and Men. I chose the area of Religion in the work. I am now desperatly in need of some good points and a solid direction to take this paper. Any helpful tips on body paragraphs would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Hi Noah, I'll tell you my strategy:

Go to sparknotes, and really enjoy the analysis of the story.
Then, write a paragraph about something that involved religion in the story. What religious ideas affected those guys?

Just read a little and type a little. You can do it! Writing is weirdly energy-draining, or ... like... it's weirdly difficult, but just get started. Allow yourself to type. Allow yourself to say something about the story. That is the discourse.

Home / Book Reports / Critical Lens Essay of the books Of Mice and Men and A View From the Bridge / Religious Involvement