Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

Critique the "letter from Birmingham Jail" - NEED HELP

Pinkerbell 1 / -  
Prompt: Critique the "letter from Birmingham Jail"and add against and with the grain observations with comment on rhetorical and language.

I am adding use of pathos and logos as with-the-grain arguments. However I can't come up with any against the grain arguments. Something is needed where I can give a response in opposition to the letter.
What is against the grain? What is with the grain? Maybe you are talking about King's arguments that appeal to common ideas of his time as "with the grain," and when he challenges common ideas that is "against the grain." Is that right?

If so, he has against the grain arguments every time he suggests that the African American community should be able to protest and demonstrate... and he used "with the grain arguments when he appeals to Christian values trying to talk some sense into the racist white people.

This particular piece of literature is so inspirational and beautiful, and it takes me into another world when I think about the fact that it was written while sitting in an Alabama jail.

Now... you need to oppose the letter? How can any modern person oppose the letter? It sounds like you are taking a rhetoric class. If you want to oppose the letter, I guess you could try to argue from the perspective of cultural moral relativism. Google that term, and maybe it will help.

Also, to argue against the letter you can use ETHOS and write about the many intelligent and accomplished people who disagreed with King.

Does any of that help you? I hope you have a lot of success with this.

Home / Book Reports / Critique the "letter from Birmingham Jail" - NEED HELP