Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

How does the painting in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" contribute to the MOWAW?

andresbahamon 1 / -  
I have an essay due tomorrow on this subject. I know the painting is very significant in the way that it shows his true self, since it ages, smirks when sybil dies, and shows blood on the hand after he kills Basil. But, then what is the overall meaning of the work in which all 3 of these characteristics of the painting contribute towards?

It is an essay 750 to 1000 words.
SilverKnight 15 / 55 4  
The primary purpose of the Painting within the confines of the story is, as you said, to reveal the true nature of Mr. Gray. However, symbolically and thematically, there's a lot more to it. The painting is meant to show that all actions are accounted for and that there is no consequence free way of living. On top of that, it is supposed to be a part of Oscar Wilde's statement against the value of art. By showing a man, Dorian, that is completely controlled by art (the yellow book, Sibyl's poor acting, and the painting), Wilde is trying to say that allowing art to influence your life will never lead to a positive end. Personally, I hate anything connected with this book, including the author, the story, and most of its themes, but this is at least part of the answer to the question you asked.

Home / Book Reports / How does the painting in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" contribute to the MOWAW?