"updated with variety of software applications" - SOP for MS in Computer Science

fhnaseer 1 / 1  
Hi All, i am applying for MS in Computer Science, this is my SOP, kindly help me in writing a good SOP, thanks,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
"Conceiving ideas and developing systems that deliver that promise" is a personal goal that I have set for myself. When translated into actions this goal has reinforced my belief in leadership through creativity.

Writing this statement for pursuing MS in Computer Sciences takes me back to my first exposure to computer. My father's friend brought the first computer to our rural town when I was just six years old. I rushed to visit his institute as soon as I got the news. He welcomed me with smiles and pointed to the keyboard. It took me five minutes to find the alphabets for my name. My eyes could not believe when I read my name Faisal Hafeez on the screen. 'This is magic!' was the candid phrase that came out of my mouth when the laser printer printed my name on a fancy paper. Since then, the idea of creating magic through Computer Engineering anchored my mind. The given thought acquired a concrete form when I was selected through Outreach Scholarship Program (OSP) for pursuing my undergraduate studies in Computer Sciences at National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences (NUCES), Islamabad, a premier institution of its kind in Pakistan.

In spite of being in a remote area like Rajanpur, I kept myself updated with variety of software applications produced in the market. I have always been anticipating the changes expected in the upcoming versions of the applications. My anticipations never betrayed me in the video games I was enthusiastic about. Thus, Software Engineering as a career became second to my nature.

After my higher secondary I was determined to secure for myself a position in the Computer Science field. To accomplish this I had to qualify in the Entrance Exam. I secured a good rank in the examination and was awarded scholarship under Outreach Scholarship Program for undergraduate study in Computer Science in National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences, Islamabad, Pakistan.

During my undergraduate studies, I gained a comprehensive exposure to the core areas of Computer Science and developed a strong conceptual understanding of the same. Interdependence and independence are the most important traits for making a great team-builder. In this span, I have strived to maintain an integrated approach of learning by sharing knowledge with others. At NUCES, subjects such as Computer Organization, Computer Architecture, and Digital Logic Design laid a solid foundation in the theoretical aspects of the subjects, while practical application aspects were introduced to me through subjects such as Object Oriented Programming, Data Structures, Analysis and Design of Algorithms, Database Management Systems, Internet Technologies. Areas which are of special interest to me centered on Concurrent and Distributed Computing, Computer Graphics, Web Application Development and Mobile Application Development.

For my Final Year Project, I have decided to concentrate on my other area of interest Digital Image Processing. Our project, Virtual Walk-inn, provides the virtual environment in which user of the system can move freely in any direction. The main focus of this system is to create panorama mosaics and then providing a virtual tour on the basis of these mosaics. Special focus is to keep on inside the buildings tours. Further features of the system are image tagging for searching and image localization purposes.

Working on the projects gave me a sound technical base. But the greatest advantage of involving me in these activities was that I developed the ability to multi-task effectively. Besides the college academics I was actively involved in the extra-curricular activities. I am a member of FAST Adventure Club. I was also a part of FAST Computing Society. The driving force behind all this was my aim to develop all the facets of my personality.

As a student in the final year of undergraduate study for a Bachelor of Engineering degree in Computer Science, I look to graduate study to refine my knowledge and skills in my areas of interest. The next step in my career towards achieving my career goal is to pursue my MS in Computer Science. I believe it will also serve to give direction to my goal of a career as a research professional at an academic or commercial, research-oriented organization. I strongly believe that a software engineer should be instinctive, innovative, and quick to adapt and adopt new technologies, which is only possible with solid foundation and profundity in his subjects. This entails and insightful and thorough understanding of the intricacies of the subject. That's the reason why I am inclined towards MS in Computer Science.

In conclusion, I would like to add that the essence of University education lies in the synergetic relationship between the student and his department. I feel that graduate study at your University will be the most logical extension of my academic pursuits and a major step towards achieving my objectives. I would be grateful to you if I'm accorded the opportunity to pursue my graduate studies with financial assistance at your institution and am able to justify your faith in me.
"Conceiving ideas and developing systems that deliver that promise" ---I am very impressed with your intro and writing style, but I want to criticize this slogan. What is the promise you are referring to? Conceiving ideas does not imply any promise.

If you can avoid ending a sentence with a proposition, do so. It's more impressive:
... the video games about which I was enthusiastic. about .

During my undergraduate studies, I gained a comprehensive exposure to the core areas of Computer Science and developed a strong conceptual understanding of the same. ---This sentence shows your intelligence, because it is a great sentence, but I want to mention that it is actually not very meaningful. It is eloquent, but not full of meaning. It is a vague assertion. I think you should mention the specific insight you gained or specific areas of interest that developed. This first sentence of the paragraph is most important.

... the essence of University education lies in the synergetic relationship between the student and his department. ---Maybe you have too many of these vague truisms. It might be better to focus on the specifics, the "meat and potatoes" of the essay. That means you should avoid abstractions and say concrete things.

However, I really am just trying very hard to give some criticism for you. The truth is that this is a very, very, very impressive essay already.
OP fhnaseer 1 / 1  
thx for reply,

Home / Graduate / "updated with variety of software applications" - SOP for MS in Computer Science