Home / Poetry   % width Posts: 2

Question regarding "A Poison Tree"

learningtowrite 32 / 50  
Hi,
Can you help me clarify a few questions regarding this poem called "A poison tree"?

William Blake
I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe;
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I water'd it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears;
And I sunned it with my smiles
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright;
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine,

And into my garden stole
When the night had veil'd the pole:
In the morning glad I see
My foe outstretch'd beneath the tree

1. The foe knows that the fruit belongs to the poet, but does he know that the fruit is poison?
2. What fears does the poet have in mind while nurturing his tree of hatred?
3. I understand that it is the foe who stole the fruit from the poet's tree. So the poet does not technically mean to kill his foe. Am I correct?

Poems are so difficult to understand. Thanks for helping me!
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon!

The trick to poetry is that it is all in your interpretation, therefore it is highly individualized, personal, and expressive. In this particular poem, the fruit is not necessarily literally a fruit; it is also a metaphor. What could this metaphor be? As far as the "fruit" being poison, does it really matter if the foe knows it is poison or not? Think about the foe's motivation for picking and eating the fruit.

In regards to the fears that the poet had in mind, this is up to you to analyze. Can we ever be crystal clear of another's intentions?

The point of "understanding" the poem is not to be correct or incorrect, but to explore the possibilities. What are the possibilities and ramifications of growing a poisonous tree? This can be compared to responsible pet ownership (WAAAYYYY off topic, I know, but bear with me). If I own a viscious dog and I leave it unleashed in a park with children, do I mean for it to bite a child? Is my intent even relevant?

I hope this is useful for you.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, Essay Forum.com

Home / Poetry / Question regarding "A Poison Tree"