Home / Speeches   % width Posts: 3

Moby Dick speech; Compare Ishmael's morbid thoughts upon entering the chapel

hirdsaw 1 / -  
For my English class I need to write a speech about this topic using the book Moby Dick: Compare Ishmael's morbid thoughts upon entering the chapel, to his more positive thoughts about death. I can only answer the question using content from the chapters 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. My problem is that I can't seem to find anything dealing with morbid thoughts or positive thoughts about death in any of the chapters! If someone could please help me get started by posting a few examples of Ishmael's morbid and positive thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.
kskin1 2 / 2  
Hi,

In chapter seven when he enters the chapel he thinks that he may die at sea like the many others. Then he becomes more cheerful when he thinks that we have mistaken the matter of life and death.

Chapter seven deals with morbid thoughts and positive thoughts about death.

I hope this helps
Here are some articles for you to enjoy!

Melville, Darwin and the Great Chain of Being; Studies in American Fiction, Vol. 28, 2000 ------------------especially this one

Ahab and the Glamour of Evil: A Burkean Reading of Ritual in 'Moby Dick.'; Papers on Language & Literature, Vol. 33, 1997

Peretz, Eyal. Literature, Disaster, and the Enigma of Power: A Reading of 'Moby-Dick.'; Studies in the Novel, Vol. 38, 2006 129+

Moby-Dick and Schopenhauer; International Fiction Review, Vol. 31, 2004

Home / Speeches / Moby Dick speech; Compare Ishmael's morbid thoughts upon entering the chapel