Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 5

Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, brief discussion on how it has influenced me

Noob in writing 5 / 25  
It's a brief discussion on how Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead has influenced me... Any feedback is appreciated!
--The man that will stop the motor of the world.

Amongst the many books composed by Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead is my favorite. Widely recognized as the creator of objectivism philosophy, Ayn Rand molded two distinguished types of people in the book-the independent creators that created all the human civilization by their own effort, and the dependent parasites who lived second-handed, fed by other people's minds. The protagonist in The Fountainhead, Howard Roark, was not a popular person. But with honesty, dreams and clear individualism mindset, he finally broke through the convention of the world, erecting his own monuments.

I have been influenced by Ayn Rand's philosophy mainly in two ways. First of all, her objectivism viewpoints and the declaration that "work is worship" strengthened my determination to take my own path, encouraging me when I finally decided to put college off and develop my own business. More importantly, through the main characters in The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand showed an abiding faith in individualism, which I believe is indispensible for a charismatic leader. The appropriate amount of individualism conveyed by Ayn Rand granitized my belief in the power of man. Even if minimal, one man's effort can still make a difference.
tiger31twin 4 / 7  
you should elaborate more on how Ayn Rands philosophy has influenced you. You list the two points, but you do not say why. Your second paragraph second sentence is a little awkward.
OP Noob in writing 5 / 25  
Thanks tiger! I will revise it and try posting it again.
OP Noob in writing 5 / 25  
I revised the second sentence in the second paragraph:

In the first place, her objectivism viewpoints and the declaration that "work is worship" strengthened my determination to take my own path. With the encouragement from Ayn Rand's spirit, I finally decided to put college off and develop my own business.

Does that look better? Thanks~
You are covering a lot of concepts that should be explained a little: individualism, objectivism, and parasitism. Is individualism contrasted against collectivism, or are you using individualism to refer to individual effort and taking responsibility?

Maybe objectivist is better?-----> In the first place, her objectivist viewpoints and the declaration that "work is worship" strengthened my determination to take my own path. With the encouragement from Ayn Rand's spirit, I finally decided to put college off and develop my own business.

this part is indeed much clearer now.

Home / Book Reports / Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, brief discussion on how it has influenced me