Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 13

Book recommendation for Novel Analysis Thesis

ima 2 / 3  
Hi,
I study in international Baccalaureate programme and to get the diploma i need to write a thesis, extended essay but i am not able to find my topic.

My subject is Literature and shortly i'll have to compare or analyse novels that are somehow similiar (concept,subject,charachter)

the previously done topics which had the perfect score:An exploration of Jane Austen's use of the outdoors in Emma

The Empowerment of the Feminine in JRR Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings

How and why have Sylvia Plath in The Bell Jar and Charlotte Perkins Gilman in The Yellow Wallpaper used inanimate objects as motifs for female madness?

"Slaughterhouse Five" and "The Things They Carried"
as Anti-War Novels

Symbolism in John Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath"

The Influence of the Supporting Cast of "Cinderella" on
the Story as a Whole

Dance in Jane Austen's novels
"What are the role and the significance of dance in Pride and Prejudice
and Emma?"

Death in Emily Brontë's and Emily Dickinson's poetry
"How is the subject of death treated in selected poems by Emily Brontë
and Emily Dickinson?"

Fiction and history in Blaise Cendrars' L'Or
"How and why does Cendrars modify facts and rewrite history in his first
novel?"

I am searching for a book recommendation that i can work with focusing on a specific subject or theme

I would be really glad if you can share me your recommendations

thanks in advance
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
If you are studying literature, then I assume you have some novels that you like. Start there. Think of one or two of your favorite novels. Do a little Googling or searching in academic databases to see what literary critics and other scholars have had to say about them. You could also list them here, to see if we have any ideas. But the question as you have framed it here is just too broad for us to be helpful to you. We could suggest random topics from the whole of the field of literature, but I can't imagine that would be helpful.
Still, I'll give it a shot :-)

Altas Shrugged and Grapes of Wrath as flip sides of the Marxist coin.

There. Two books you can compare and contrast quite easily, focusing on a single theme. And I imagine not too many people have looked at those two books in the same light before.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Or we could just randomly pair up novels and themes, pulling from all times and places, since that wasn't specified either:

Humor in Lysistrata vs Catcher in the Rye

Images of women in Slaughterhouse Five versus Last Exit to Brooklyn

Sexuality in the late novels of Charles Dickens

Sexual orientation in the early novels of Jeanette Winterson

Really, the possibilities are so endless as to be absurd. We need to know more in order to be helpful.
OP ima 2 / 3  
EF_Simone
these recommendations are great and they are the kind of topics that i need and could focus but as you said i wasnt being specific

to be specific about topic i was looking for unique and somehow fun topics like
- The Influence of the Supporting Cast of "Cinderella" on the Story as a Whole
or some horror novels but i was not able to find any so now i just need a topic that i can find a lot of things to deal with and produce at least 5000 words without too much trouble and also something that i can interpret or comment on. i may focus same theme in different times so i can contrast themes while i was evaluating the effect of time factor or same thing with the place

my problem is that i am not that well-read to choose numerous selections among many books thats your recommendations would be very helpful
i was looking for unique and somehow fun topics

Oh, well, that narrows it down considerably. :-)

How about "New England as the worst place in the world: American Horror from Hawthorne to Lovecraft to King."
StacyM - / 3  
EF_Simone
Hi,
seeing your anwer i was wondering if you can recommend me something similiar to these topics focusing on teenage or sexuality
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
I've been misunderstood! My "recommendations" were just random juxtapositions of literary works and topics. They were absurd! My point was that it is simply not possible to give somebody a good recommendation without further information about matters such as what they have and have not read, what they like and dislike, what broad genre or time period interests them, etc., etc.

Stacy, at least you have begun to do that. So you want to focus on teens and/or sexuality. In literature? Worldwide or from a specific country? What have you already read that fits within those topics? What interests you about those topics?
StacyM - / 3  
So you want to focus on teens and/or sexuality. In literature? Worldwide or from a specific country? What have you already read that fits within those topics? What interests you about those topics

i was searching for a literature topic that i can analyse the role of sexuality in a novel how its effecting the charachters and thats why i am searching for writers or books which includes this subject in a way that i can compare contrast analyse and produce an academic essay with
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
One novel that would be good for that is Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson. Or you could go old-school and write about Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown.
StacyM - / 3  
Dark Romanticism & Gothic Novel Book analysis topic recommendations.

Hi
can you recommend me a english literature essay topic related to Dark Romanticism or Gothic Novel
like analysis of themes,charachters comparison etc.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Hmm... Again I find myself wanting more information before recommending a topic. Why do you want to write on this subject? Do you read books in this genre? Which have been your favorites? Why?

It is, of course, always possible to choose two books in the same genre, read them, and then compare their themes, characters, etc. So, you could just do that.
Well, since you are looking at a primarily American genre and a primarily British ones, looking at how the two reflect different cultural values might be a way to go. Simone is right, though. Having more information would be useful.

Home / Book Reports / Book recommendation for Novel Analysis Thesis