Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

"The Catcher in the Rye" and "Igby Goes Down" essay

ness_119 1 / -  
hey :)

I have to write a comparitive essay for English:

"Both The Catcher in the Rye and Igby Goes Down demonstrate that regardless of context, youth will always non-conform."

Examine how the values and attitudes of non-conformity are explored in each prescribed text (Refer to context, purpose and techniques).

I'm really stuck here - I have no idea what to write about! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

thanks!
Well, I'd suggest writing about how "both The Catcher in the Rye and Igby Goes Down demonstrate that regardless of context, youth will always non-conform."

If you need help getting started, you could always try brainstorming ideas by writing down various definitions of non-conformism (think, for example, of the concept of the fashionable non-conformist). You might then start writing down ways in which the protagonists of the works engage in non-conformist behavior, according to your definition of the term. Then, you might look at the context in which these behaviors occur, and see if any patterns emerge that you could talk about as the basis of an essay.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  

It's always a good idea to work from your teacher's instructions, as s/he has an idea of how it will be best for you to approach the work and, if you can show that you followed the recommended approach, that will help you if there is any question about grading.

So, for each text, ask yourself how values and attitudes of non-conformity are explored. For each text in turn, think about content -- the plot of the work. Then think about the author's purpose. Then think about the writing techniques used by the author. Jot down your any ideas that arise during these reflections, and you will find your thesis in your notes.

Home / Book Reports / "The Catcher in the Rye" and "Igby Goes Down" essay