Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

The flaws and strengths of the characters in The Crucible and the puritans.

dcage 1 / -  
Essay statement: Anaylse the flaws and strengths of the characters in The Crucible and compare these characteristics to the ideas expressed by the puritans themselves (Winthrop in his speech "A Model of Christian Charity" and Bradstreet's poem "Verses upon the burning of our house"). What would the world have thought when it looked at the "city" that the puritan colonists built?

Introduction
Before John Winthrop set foot on the new world from the Arbella in 1630 he lay down a thesis that he expressed to the first puritans of the new world. He was determined that these set of ideas would bound and unite these people to create a morally superior and justified community which followed traditional Christian values. The Salem Witch trials of 1692 came into conflict with John's thesis and betrayed the way of life that he wished for puritans to live. The Crucible captures this betrayal through the themes of Abigail, a young girl drawn to adultery, dishonesties and intent to murder resulting in the death of 19 innocent people.

First topic - Adultery
Abigail's first betrayal of Winthrop's ideology, so to speak is the adultery bought forth by Abigail due to her lust for John Proctor. Abigail had worked as a maid in the proctor's household. Elizabeth fired her once she realized Abigail was having sexual relations with John and word spread of her intrusion giving her a bad name in Salem. This is expressed by Parris who explains "And yet it has troubled me that you are now seven month out of their house, and in all this time no other family has ever called of your service" (page 20, Line 13) On Abigail's and John's first encounter the first allegation of their affair by Abigail was dismissed by John as he explains "Abby, I may think of you softly from time to time. But I will cut off my hand before I'll ever reach for you again. Wipe it out of mind. We never touched, Abby." (Page 29 line 14) Abigail accepts the affair "Aye, but we did." (Page 29 line 15) again he denies this, "Aye, but we did not" (page 29 line 16).Towards the end of the play, confrontations in a court lead to John bursting out accusations that Abigail is a whore, when Judge Danforth demands John to prove this he explains "I have known her, sir. I have known her". He has an emotional breakdown when he confesses to this but explains to Danforth the whole situation is erupting from a whore's vengeance.

this is all ive done so far the last two topics i will talk about is Dishonesties and intent to murder - im still finding quotes for them

this is my conclusion

The world would of knew that the puritans expressed an idea, but they betrayed this idea and the proof that they betrayed the idea of (in particularly) John Winthrop is the events that led to the Salem witch trials and the hanging of 19 innocent people.'

hey guys can you help me out this is first essay ive written and i have no idea how to do all i know is the basic introduction topics 3s and conclusions and thesis statement and kind of topic sentence but its so damn hard to write it and i dont wanna get bad mark for this its worth 25% of my mark please help im stuck
What would the world have thought when it looked at the "city" that the puritan colonists built?

I don't fully understand this part!
Tough question...

Okay, it is good to collect your quotes and citations. Use those to support the assertions you make in the PARAGRAPH TOPIC SENTENCES. The first sentence of each paragraph (i.e. it's topic sentence) should make a point to support your main idea.

You have to accomplish 3 things:
- Analyze the flaws and strengths of the characters
- Do the same for the puritan society
- What would the world have thought of that city?

So, use one paragraph for each of those. Also, use some of the words in the prompt, like "flaws," "strengths," and "the world would have thought..."

Use those key words. Answer their questions. Then, go back and write an intro that ends with a thesis statement that gives the main idea among all these three.

Good luck!!

Home / Book Reports / The flaws and strengths of the characters in The Crucible and the puritans.